Mystery compressor

-

4spdcuda66

Reaction score
I have a Mopar A/C compressor PN: 3846630. The tag says R-12 refrigerant, and complies with regulations for 1962 model year. I don't know the make and model of which this compressor originates. I tried the net, but came up empty. Any issues if I were to use this for my '66 Barracuda? Can I use just any compressor, or do I need to find the exact one for my make and model. If so, do any of you know the part number for a '66 A-body?

Hi,

You're going to have to help us with a little more information. That P/N is mid to late 70's. The basic compressors are all pretty much the same but there were differences in drive belt arrangements. These have more to do with the clutch on the compressor than the compressor itself. Slant sixes got smaller displacement compressors and they often had single drive belt pulleys. Small V8's in the 60's also had single drive belts up to about 1970. Big V8's had dual drive belt pulleys.

So, what engine is in your 66, and what does the clutch pulley on the compressor look like?

Within reason, a compressor must be matched to the evaporator / load. This would suggest, EG, that something out of a very small car like a subcompact Toyota is going to be different than a Lincoln Continuous, or a Chrysler Impervious.

Anything "reasonably" in between is probably workable.

The engine in my car is a 318. The drive pulley on the compressor is a dual groove, and it's five inches in diameter. My car was equipped with A/C, but all the under-hood stuff is gone. When I put my car back together, I would like to have A/C, and if I can use this compressor, that would be one less thing I would have to buy. Rebuilding the compressor is pretty straight forward as well, and is something I would do anyway.

What year 318? it may make a difference as the early cast iron water pumps differ and may use different pulleys.Also the cast pump outlet is on the opposite side of the later aluminum pump.several changes over the years.

As Darter6 mentioned what year 318 matters. 69 and earlier used a single drive belt on the A/C compressor. 1970 and up used a dual belt system that also drove the alternator. The compressor you have would work on a 70 and up 318. You will have to find the right compressor mounting bracket and supports. Also, you will need to get the crankshaft pulley and all the other pulleys worked out for an A/C setup. You will also need to find the specific A/C refrigerant lines for a 66. All in all, you might find it easier to use a newer retrofit kit from a company like Classic Air. Otherwise, you're going to be doing a lot of searching for original system parts.

once the wifey comes home ill snap some pics of my 360
the motor is a 75 but I have no idea what year the pulleys and all are BUT it is a dual groove drive on the A/C compressor that also run the alternator and I could even give you the belt numbers :)

might be helpful

The engine block is a 1970 casting. A lot of the original 273 parts were on the engine when I bought the car. Hi-Po valve covers, 4bbl intake and carb, air cleaner, crank pulley. I plan on using the cast iron water pump and older style timing cover and balancer so the engine looks like a 273. Trying to use this compressor may be more hassle than it's worth. I suppose I should contact CAA and find out how much all this stuff will cost to piece meal together vs. a retro fit kit. Thanks for the responses and photos. Always a lot of good advise on this forum. Thanks FABO friends.

Here is a photo of a 68 Valiant 273 with mopar airtemp dealer installed air. RV-2 factory compressor but a single belt pulley with 2 idler pulleys. Not the best photo but just a idea.

Attachments

• IMG_2186.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 151
-
Back