Mystery floor hump bracket

-

csx452

Reaction score
I have a 68 Dart GT. One of the previous owners installed a B&M shifter and butchered the console. I took the interior out of the car to install a new carpet and found this bracket in front of the shifter. Does anyone know what this bracket is for? I don't want to cut the carpet around it. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the console as far as I can see. Any info/help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Frank

Attachments

• 094 (800x600).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 197
No one knows what this bracket is for? It is the same color as the body color so I am assuming it is factory. It sits in front of the console on the floor hump. It has no longer used red wires sitting on it in the pic. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again,
Frank

That bracket should be U shaped. One screw each side through the console and into the slot. Somebody hammered it down flat.

The brackets are weird. On a b body, u shaped, only driver side is used for screw; a body....

Thanks for all the input. I just looked at pics of the brackets in the for sale section and the U shaped one is the one in my pic, but mine as stated has been flattened out. It will be easy enough to bend back into shape. I'm gonna have to take the shifter back out to see where the console lands in relation to that front bracket. The console was in the car when I got it but was butchered by one of the previous owners to install the B&M shifter cause the car has a reverse manual valve body in it. I'd love to put it back original again. I hate the B&M shifter. I have a newer console that I could steal the top plate from, but I'm wondering if the brackets have been moved to accomodate the shifter and console. I also have a newer slap stick shifter with one shift rod. I think it may have come out of a B-body though. I'll have to pick up an original shifter and linkage and install it and then see where the console lands. This info has been a great help.
Thanks again,
Frank

-
Back