Mystery muscle

-

bushytick

Reaction score
Have a complete from pan to air cleaner 225 slant 6 sitting on floor of shop, prev home owner couldnt take it with him. Says its worth some bucks... but cant decipher the davinci code lol.

So far, some research suggests its a "Special" 225, Reg gas, and produced Aug 18/64... and also has 5 frost plugs.

Block stamping below head at#1 plug:

S225R 1116 E+X ("+" = Maltese cross)

Block cast # that we could barely see:

F530-5 and 2988

Head # havent located yet

IF all is correct so far, what does the E, the cross, and the X mean?

Thx in advance!!

Btw, this engine needs a new home!

20240222_155206.jpg

It has some undersized or oversize .001 mains.
R is on most if not all , like regular duty or non industrial or non truck.
Truck have a T .
S can mean special...but that can be simply a 2 brl carb...or steel crank in late block n head combo... like that one.
Someone else can chime in with all the text book gibberish I'm sure.. but it's nothing to write home about

If it's got 5 freeze plugs it's newer than 1964.
Also the Maltese cross thing means something was machined undersized (probably to correct a defect) from the factory. Is it just an engine or is there a trans with it, etc....

If it's got 5 freeze plugs it's newer than 1964.
Also the Maltese cross thing means something was machined undersized (probably to correct a defect) from the factory. Is it just an engine or is there a trans with it, etc....
Just the motor, no trans

Oh. Was curious because my most recent one I got had motor+trans in one, I was able to run it out on the ground cuz it had a starter and two converter still attached. I didn't run it long, just spritzed some gas in the carb, ran as long as I bottle fed it.
Once I got the pan off I was glad I didn't run it long. The oil was the consistency of gas and the pan had 2" of jello consistency sludge in it..... Enough to completely submerge the pickup screen. But I was surprised that an engine that sat in a barn for I have no idea how long, (apparently neither did the seller) was able to fire up and run with no more than a splash of gas, some emery cloth to the points and a hot battery...

Nothing special, but I'm a slant fan so it's special anyway. lol As mentioned, the maltese cross means under sized bearings "somewhere". Crank probably got nicked on the assembly line or some such and they had to return it. No biggie. Seen a lot like that.

-
Back