NAPA Echlin TP-70 ECU

-

harvenator

A fish called Wanda
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about these? I have one in my car wired WITHOUT a ballast resistor. Don't know if that's right or not. Was already installed when I acquired the car.

NAPA doesn't seem to think they make any such an ECU as TP-70. Can you double-check that number or show us a picture?

Anyone know anything about these? I have one in my car wired WITHOUT a ballast resistor. Don't know if that's right or not. Was already installed when I acquired the car.
Should be a TP50 or TP51. TP50 was a 5 pin and was run in the 70's cars and the TP51 is a 4 pin which was run in the 80's. All the ones I have seen have always had the ballast so I really don't know.

If the ballast resistor was required yet missing the coil would overheat and fail eventually. Since the first 5 pin ecu required a dual ballast resistor and the 4 pin required only a single resistor, maybe they have now designed one the does require a resistor, in which case it would be integrated/internal or require a coil change.
What coil you have may be a clue. Good luck

I don't know. All the printing is obliterated on the original coil. I have been using a new Ballast required coil but haven't run the car for very long to have a failure. Maybe I need to get a "No ballast reqwuired" coil??

I really dont know. Maybe BAPA Echlin can provide further details.
The original setup was to send all 12 volts to the coil during start. Vallast resistor lowers that to around 7 volts at run. Voltage lowered with a ballast resistor. Use a meter to see what voltage you coil is getting during run.

I spoke with the Echlin Tech rep the other day. He could find nothing on the TP70. Guess it's way obsolete and they don't seem to keep records of what they had back when. I got him to send me a wiring diagram for an LX405 which is the same as a TP85. I'd post the diagram here but can't seem to figure out how to attach a file already in my computer. This unit needs no ballast and tells you to remove it.
I had to order it so hopefully it'll be in in a few days. This unit was normally used in early to mid 70's Internationals.
We'll see how it works.

-
Back