NAPA Paint

-

augiepaw

Reaction score
I'm getting close to painting my Demon and has been checking on paint. A buddy told me to check out NAPA. I talked to them and of course the said their paint was good stuff. As good as PPG. Any truth to this? Has any one used it? Is it any good?

I used the 2 part base and clear for my 67, had to give them the PPG number for them
to mix it

The last time I got paint from Napa, it was Dupont Nason. Good stuff in my opinion. I've used on dozens of cars. Not sure what they sell in your neck of the woods, but in Ft. Worth, TX that was what they carried.

Napa carries Dupont,or at least that was what they were selling when I was in bodyshop's. Good stuff,no worries.

What paint line are they selling? Don't they sell Marin Senour/Sherwin Williams? I believe they are the same and relabled like Crossfire or something....

If that is the case a friend of mine in the body business uses it in his shop (small shop) and they like it... I'm not always a big fan of the cheaper stuff to be honest. Somethings you can get away with but you should have a good idea of what you are doing mixing things like I do lol

my napa can't mix paint to save there lifes, I use carquest forget the namebrand but at least for touch up work you can't tell after its done and its all buffed

Nason is or was my go to paint, and our NAPA store Did keep it on the shelf and a mixing tec, just make it clear that you want the correct temp reducer.
Our NAPA dealer removed all his paint except implement/equipment paint.
We have to many paint suppliers here for them to compete with.

Years back, NAPA had Martin Senour and it was relabeled Sherwin-Williams. We traded paint back and forth between the local NAPA store, and the independant that I worked for.

i'm pretty sure napa paint is martin senour. I personally think the paint is as good as any. But paint is only as good as the people using it ! If wrong materals are used, not prepped properly, mixed properly ect.. you will never be happy. The best painter i know uses sherwin williams even on custom stuff and swears by it.

Our local NAPA sells Martin Senour as well. I've used it a lot and had good results. A lot depends on the paint tech for a supplier. I've used different suppliers over the years because when they hire some Bozo his work reflects in the outcome, especially on color match.

I believe it is Martin Senour. He printed me a paper on how to mix it and it was on a Martin Senour letter head. That good to know. Thanks for the info. That might be way I go.

ive painted 6 cars with their paint and had no prob but the clear is not that thick so after 2 wet coats i would wet sand and give it another wet one. or use the ppg clear higher solids and get away with 2 wet coats

I just bought my paint from NAPA last week for my Dart. Ended up with a gallon of Crossfire (Martin Senour) 2K primer, 3 qts of white (ProSpray), and a liter of clear (Euroclear) with all the hardeners and reducers for about $530. The 3 qts of color mix 1:1 so I will end up with 1.5 gallons of color. The Euroclear has pretty good reviews from the local resto shop... it'll mix to about 2 gallons of clear. A lot of product for my vinyl top car but I am doing all the jams, under hood and trunk lid as well. Should have enough for a few good coats of clear on it to color sand and buff out.
I talked all this through with my local resto shop owner who likes their product.... I am using his booth to spray all of it so I wanted something he is familar with.

I just went to Ridge and Kramer and bought a quart of PPG etch primer, quart of PPG gray metallic (gm color) single stage acrylic urethane, hardener, reducer, 5 gal lacquer thinner (for clean-up) 1500 wet sand paper, (8) quart size mixing containers, 3m masking tape, 6"x600' masking paper, 3m body filler, strainers, stir sticks and I'm around $148.

Good store if they have one near you. I believe they had a gallon of PPG clear for $80, but I might be wrong on that one.

-
Back