Narrowing Costs

-

Dragonbat13

Reaction score
Whats the average costs to have a 9 1/4 diff narrowed? I got one out of a durango, along with the leafs and drum brakes. Planning on narrowing it to the same dimensions as the original 8 1/4 and either using the durango drum brakes or the original drums off the back of my 73 dart sport.

Also, any recommendation on a shop in houston that can do the work correctly?

Get an 8.8 out of a 1999-2002 explorer....comes with disc brakes. look at the threads on this forum. most common ones are 3.73 ratio.

the 9 1/4 is a "C" clip design and me cost a lot more because of the recutting of the axles or replacing them, but to narrow the housing should be something in the range a $150.

The Ford 8.8 is also a C clip diff. if someone was going to narrow one, usually not needed for an A body.

Russ.

If you're shortening the housing then you might as well get DIFFERENT ends and then NEW axles and go to a regular outer bearing.

Shortening can run 175 and up, if you bring the housing in filthy and full of oil it'll be more.

Go to your local track or car meet ask around who does what youre looking for, see whos name you hear more than once, then call them and ask what they want from you and how.

I am planning on moser axles for sure. I would like to go to a better bearing on the end, and be able to use factory application mopar brake setups (OEM or Aftermarket). The only three firm decisions I have made on this diff is to use the 3.55 gears, a truetrac diff, and the mentioned moser axles.

I really dont know what the best route for the actual axle ends would be.

The car is gonna be a "Pro-Touring" type car. As far as the gear choice, that may get changed at a much later date after the axle is installed.

Which housing end would give me the most strength, and the most available brake options?

I narrow 9 1/4 rears for A-bodies. 9 1/4 housing tubes come out of the center at 3 1/2" and taper down to 3". Where the taper is located will allow/not allow the housing to be used, because of the spring perch mounting. I use housings out of older C-bodies or 70's trucks because the taper is closer to the center. I use 8 3/4/Dana ends from Moser, custom Moser 31 spline axles and Green bearings. I use all the Dakota/Durango/Truck 9 1/4 internals in the older housings with no problems. I can answer any of your 9 1/4 questions.

-
Back