NASCAR To Debut Thermal-Cam on Daytona 500 TV Broadcast

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Read this earlier today:

During FOX Sports’ exclusive live coverage of the 53rd Daytona 500 on Sunday, Feb. 20 from Daytona International Speedway in Daytona, Florida, the network unveils FOX Thermal-Cam, a special camera designed to register variations in the heat signature of objects in its line of site. It’s FOX’s plan to use the unique feature during the race-cast to demonstrate the extreme temperatures which develop during typical racing conditions.
A feature made more important this season as cars running in the rear of a piggy-backed pair lose air flow while drafting and must eventually switch places with the lead car to avoid overheating the engine. It can also reveal the on-track groove cars are using, as well as the difference between tires about to be changed compared to fresh replacements.
The camera is supplied to FOX by FLIR, a world leader in the design, manufacture and marketing of thermal imaging and stabilized camera systems with US headquarters in Boston.

I seem to remember ESPN doing this during a couple of the NHRA broadcasts last year. I'd like to see them use it more on the NHRA broadcasts to really see the heat energy created in the fuel motors. That would be interesting.

This is just nuts. It's not about racing anymore. It's about entertainment. That's just stupid.

If i wanna watch nascar Ill just flush a pack of skittles down my toilet. :mrgreen:

Just like the red and blue lines they had to follow the puck in hockey games.

If i wanna watch nascar Ill just flush a pack of skittles down my toilet. :mrgreen:

Nope, won't work. They'd all be turning right.
Only place they'll turn left is in the Southern Hemispere.

You know, I'm really kind of surprised that nobody has looked at this and commented that it may be a good learning opportunity for those that watch the races but aren't technically inclined. It just may make them stronger fans and maybe gain a motorhead or two out of it to make our hobby a bit stronger.

I don't care who you are....that's funny right there.

Nope, won't work. They'd all be turning right.
Only place they'll turn left is in the Southern Hemispere.

You know, I'm really kind of surprised that nobody has looked at this and commented that it may be a good learning opportunity for those that watch the races but aren't technically inclined. It just may make them stronger fans and maybe gain a motorhead or two out of it to make our hobby a bit stronger.

I'm sure it'll be really interesting. No question about it. It's just that REAL race fans wanna see the CARS RACE and not much else. NASCAR has turned into a "gotta have somethin for everybody" game, because it's become all about money and not racing.

It will be funny to see Kurts face change colors everytime he gets pissed off. lol

I seen that the first of the season last year ocdart:colors:
It showed how the air traveled over the cars at the speedways :thumleft:
I remember watching 80% of the cars glow there disc brakes on small tracks and old Mark Marten was keeping his cool.
This should be cool to see where all the heat and air is going as they enjoy what they do :cheers:
I have experienced dirt track and there is nothing that can take it's place ..... Thank you for the update.

I am a fan and should have been R.Petty's son \\:D/

All you are gonna see is a streak of heat comming from Gordons car, the heat is not from his tires or engine, it is heat from his pants while he is thinking about his boyfriend Jimmy Johnson.

Sorry, I think Nascar has gone down the toilet....along with the Skittles. I will not be watching any races this year, just like last year!

All you are gonna see is a streak of heat comming from Gordons car, the heat is not from his tires or engine, it is heat from his pants while he is thinking about his boyfriend Jimmy Johnson.

Sorry, I think Nascar has gone down the toilet....along with the Skittles. I will not be watching any races this year, just like last year!

I had to quit keeping Skittles around the house to :mrgreen:
I respect you thought on Nascar for sure, Many of my friends feel the same way :thumblef:

-
Back