Nc Highway Use Tax Got Me Good!

-

skokz

Reaction score
So today I go to take care of title on my 72 so the new owner has a title for it.
So im going up there thinking it wil cost me around 80 bucks since thats what it cost to get title and tags for my 74.
Get there and not a line at all which is odd, there is always a line so I knew something bad was going to happen.
Get to counter and a minute later lady tells me total is 147 and this is for just to transfer title no tags since i don't need tags anyway.
After asking woman atleast five times if 147 was the total hoping she was joking. Yeah right!

So 147 dollars later and a 72 that has a highway tax of 90 dollars and a 74 that has a highway tax of 6.60 dollars. So long darts hope you cause your new owner headache and your a pita to them as well.

And to the State of NC and your bs highway tax this all i have for you. :thebirdm:

Hear I come chevys.

Can't wait to see what it's gonna cost me for my 03 Audi next week when I go. I think I may be exempt since I am not a resident and I am active duty military.

That was my question too. What is a highway tax? And since we're on the tax topic, what is this fee I hear some of you pay to keep unregistered cars on your property?

Grant

wow why the huge difference and what is a highway tax?

A "highway tax" is one more way for NC to tax their citizens under the table!!

"North Carolina collects a 3% Highway Use Tax on vehicles in lieu of a state sales tax (General Statute 105-187.2). The tax is assessed each time a title is transferred. The maximum tax for commercial vehicles (vehicles with a weight greater than 26,000 pounds) is $1,000.00. All other vehicles are charged 3% with no ceiling."

they also have a yearly "motor vehicle property tax" lol
the tax on my jeep was around $400 a year
crooks!!!!!!

it's their way of getting more money to maintain the roads. They figure in the age of the vehilce to determine the amount of time it will spend on the road. I think.

wow why the huge difference and what is a highway tax?

For some reason my 72 dart is valued at 3000 and my 74 is valued at 220 dollars.

If i did math right thats should be how they are listed for values.
Highway Use Tax (HUT)

North Carolina collects a 3% Highway Use Tax on vehicles in lieu of a state sales tax (General Statute 105-187.2). The tax is assessed each time a title is transferred. The maximum tax for commercial vehicles (vehicles with a weight greater than 26,000 pounds) is $1,000.00. All other vehicles are charged 3% with no ceiling.
Money that is collected for the Highway Use Tax goes towards the North Carolina Highway Trust Fund. That money is then used to improve the roads of North Carolina. Additionally, another portion of the money collected for the Highway Use Tax goes towards the State's General Fund.

That was my question too. What is a highway tax? And since we're on the tax topic, what is this fee I hear some of you pay to keep unregistered cars on your property?

Grant

I have never heard to have to pay keep unregistered cars on your property. I used to have 3 to 4 of same cars and only keep one registered so I didn't have to pay anything on rest.

yearly form they send you
http://www.wakegov.com/NR/rdonlyres/707B51CA-F3EB-4113-94DB-25C0B47CB1AD/0/IndivListForm2009.pdf

"North Carolina General Statutes require all individuals owning personal property on January 1 of each year to annually list that property which is subject to taxation."

"Individual Personal Property includes:

Unlicensed vehicles (those not having an active North Carolina registration on January 1), including automobiles, trucks, trailers, campers and motorcycles
Boats, Boat Motors, Jet Skis, etc.
Mobile Homes
Aircraft, including Hot Air Balloons, Ultralights, and Gliders"

Thats first time I heard or seen that form. I never knew anyone that listed there vehicles on that form.

yearly form they send you

http://www.wakegov.com/NR/rdonlyres/707B51CA-F3EB-4113-94DB-25C0B47CB1AD/0/IndivListForm2009.pdf

"North Carolina General Statutes require all individuals owning personal property on January 1 of each year to annually list that property which is subject to taxation."

"Individual Personal Property includes:

Unlicensed vehicles (those not having an active North Carolina registration on January 1), including automobiles, trucks, trailers, campers and motorcycles
Boats, Boat Motors, Jet Skis, etc.
Mobile Homes
Aircraft, including Hot Air Balloons, Ultralights, and Gliders"

no thats not a _______ its a non taxable ________

parts car.....................its a plant holder
motorcycle.....................its a mailbox stand
outboard motor.....................its a table leg

no thats not a _______ its a non taxable ________

parts car.....................its a plant holder
motorcycle.....................its a mailbox stand
outboard motor.....................its a table leg

dart on jack stands...........landmark/locater

When pple dont know what color your house is or the house number but they can definately find it by the busted car or cars in yard or in the street.

It costed me more to title and tag my '63 Chevy truck than it did my '95 z-26 Beretta, I guess because the truck never has to be inspected again so thay make it up on the tag...

It costed me more to title and tag my '63 Chevy truck than it did my '95 z-26 Beretta, I guess because the truck never has to be inspected again so thay make it up on the tag...

Well hopefully it wont cost me this much to title my next project. If it does my vehicles are gonna start getting titled and tag in pennslyvania. Im gonna start supporting them instead of north carolina.

I cant figure out why it was 83 dollar difference in highway tax neither one of the darts needs inspected anymore. I think someone added a extra 0 to the value to the car.

Well hopefully it wont cost me this much to title my next project. If it does my vehicles are gonna start getting titled and tag in pennslyvania. Im gonna start supporting them instead of north carolina.

I cant figure out why it was 83 dollar difference in highway tax neither one of the darts needs inspected anymore. I think someone added a extra 0 to the value to the car.

Was it a late title transfer fee or something?? To title my '75 datsun truck was just $57.00 total, and I thought that was high....

in PA you only pay sales tax when you transfer the title and if its over 10 years old you can claim it as a gift, no tax! to bad about the screwy tax down there, aside from that I really like it when ever I drive through that area

I love Ohio.
You pay a tax on the selling price of the car when you get your car titled.
So, if you sell a car for $5K and you write down that you sold the car for $1K then you pay $60 in taxes instead of $300. The buyer has to pay that, not the seller. We pay a annual tag fee of about $60 for trucks and vans and maybe $45 for cars.
The historical plates are the best though, $32 one time fee and the tag lasts for 50 years. YES, 50 years!
BTW most of the state is bitching because all of these fees are double of what they were 2 years ago.

Was it a late title transfer fee or something?? To title my '75 datsun truck was just $57.00 total, and I thought that was high....

It cost me 80 to transfer title and get tags on my 74 dart.
The 72 cost me 147 just to transfer title. There was a late fee but that was only 15 dollars.

-
Back