Neck Surgery

-

scamper340

Reaction score
I normally don't post about my ills and whatnot, but I had 2 discs removed from my neck on Thursday. Wearing a hard collar, so I can't do much for awhile. I have to sleep in a chair for now, can't get comfortable in bed... Got some good pain pills, but swallowing them is a real treat after having a tube jammed down your throat, those 750mg Percocets are HUGE! Anyway, I'd like to ask for ideas to keep busy while I'm out of action. Any good websites, (besides this one) that you guys kill time on? Movie suggestions? Online games? Whatcha got? Has anyone else had similar surgery, and do you have any tips for making things go a little easier?

Wow brother, I hope you have a speedy recovery. I would not suggest any water skiing or rock climbing for a while:smile:. I would suggest a good book or movies that will not make you laugh to hard, that could be painful. Join us here on Fabo and try and take it easy. Best of luck to you, MMG/Christopher

Wow! I hope the healing process goes good for you! I'm looking at a similar surgery down the road a ways and I ain't looking forward to having it done! It's hard to believe that the crazy things that you do when you're young and bulletproof come back to haunt you when you get older! Not to mention to rear ended car accidents! Whiplash sure plays hell on your neck and it comes back later on in life to remind you! Ouch!
Take care and go easy until things mend!

crushing the pills may make them easier to swallow
the newest version of GRAND THEFT AUTO that your computer and video card can handle
forget "playing" the game missions, just steal cars smash into everything and run things over!!! then shoot them until they blow up!!! it is loads of fun, and good for hours of distraction

I hear your pain brother. I had surgery on my ankle a week ago and wont be able to walk for 8 weeks or so. Day time tv blows. I got a Netflicks account from a friend and am able to stream movies and tv shows on my PS3. That keeps me going. The tv series Dexter is a great one to watch.

How long are you going to be laid up? I hope it goes fast.

Hey Scamper340, Go slow and get well so you can enjoy your Mopar. I like this fourm the best, but challenger.com and mopar.com has a pretty good ones as well. Get well dude.

Thanks guys, actually my neck doesn't hurt so much as my shoulders for some reason, they just ache right now. I have about a 3" incision in the front of my neck, but it doesn't hurt much. I had a ruptured disc, and the one below it was in pretty bad shape. Apparently it's been that was for a long time. It explains a lot of problems I've had for years. I've been off work since the summer, when I had an AC resection on my left shoulder. When i went to go back to work, the company doc said my arm was still too weak. I went back to my ortho doc and that's when they found the ruptured disc. I should feel like a new man once I'm healed up, woohoo! Anyway, I'm guessing I'll be down for another six weeks at least, no driving, no lifting anything... Weird coincidence, my sister just had the same surgery about 2 weeks ago. I believe hers was the C4, C5 and C6 vertebrae and mine was C5, C6 and C7. She posts over on cudachallenger.com. Hey 416stroker, a good tip I got from her was make sure you have a bunch of straws, the bendable ones. Makes drinking alot easier. And honestly, the pain isn't that bad, it's more uncomfortable than anything. Thanks for the tips, I've been thinking about trying Netflicks for awhile now so I'm going to go ahead and sign up. It too cold to be water skiing, so it's all good, LOL! Hope your ankle heals quick Racingduster. Thanks again guys, I feel better already!

crushing the pills may make them easier to swallow
the newest version of GRAND THEFT AUTO that your computer and video card can handle
forget "playing" the game missions, just steal cars smash into everything and run things over!!! then shoot them until they blow up!!! it is loads of fun, and good for hours of distraction[/QUOTE

Some pills are not meant to be crushed, make sure it's ok before you try this...

I am having injection done to my neck 1 last week and 1 in another week and a half.....I am hoping to NOT have to have a surgery.....mine is C5,C6,C7, and T1......I feel the pain in my shoulder.

Welcome to the club. I had 2 discs removed and fused in my neck about 8 years ago.

I wasn't given a neck brace and I didn't have any restrictions on sleeping position.

Did they put in a steel plate and 4 sheet metal screws? That's what my x-ray looks like……

Anyway, After about a week I was up and around, driving and visiting friends and family. I had restrictions on what I could lift (10lbs the 1st month, 20lbs the 2nd month, 30lbs the 3rd month).

The pain goes away quick.

I had neck surgery , discs replaced with donor bone, but I also had nerve damage. Arms and hands disconnected. Physical therapy kept me busy.
Best of luck with your recovery.

I am sorry to hear about your neck, I had the surgery c5-c6 about six years ago, doctor used some of my hip bone that hurt worse than the neck. It took me a while to get over the pain and problems of the nerves, it comes and goes every now and then,but sure feels better than before surgery. I sat and watched a lot of television, and played a little putt golf in the living room. Also did some walking. Any way hope you get well with no further problems.

Wow, looks like I'm not alone with the neck problems. Glad to hear everyone that's had it done feels better afterward. I was having pain in my left shoulder for quite some time, like a burning sensation in my left trap muscle, and some numbness in my fingers on both hands. The weakness in the left arm was the final straw. I had plates put in and I believe cadaver bone too, I was a little out of it when the doc came to see me after the surgery. My C5, 6, and 7 were fused together. Anyway, I noticed some tenderness in my right arm after I came home from the surgery, and I couldn't remember being stuck with needles there. It seemed to follow the large vein between the elbow and wrist so I went in to the hospital yesterday and they found a blood clot. They called it a superficial thrombosis, so I'm taking advil and applying hot compresses to it right now. Been feeling sick to my stomach for the past couple of days too. Guess I'm not as tough as some of you, LOL. Been keeping busy reading The Garage Journal lately, thanks for the tip pauls340. Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone.

Yeah I had c4/c5 fused with a rhino bone (talk about rhino tough). But Im a gamer. I played RP games. Lifting only]a gal of milk was the pits. I read alot of old mopar mags.

-
Back