Need 1971 Dart Steering Column diagram...questions on column to floor shift conversion

-

Earl Austin

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I'm looking the steering column diagram for a 1971 Dart. I'm converting My column shift to a floor shift, with the new collars from Classic industries. I'm trying to figure out how/if the switch will lock wheel, or how the column knows when the floor shift is in Park, to pull key out etc etc ??

'70 used linkage from the floor shifter to turn the release collar and allow the key to be removed. In '71 the collar has a spring loaded thumb lever you need to push to release the key. The automatics on the column just used the shift lever to do that.

'70 used linkage from the floor shifter to turn the release collar and allow the key to be removed. In '71 the collar has a spring loaded thumb lever you need to push to release the key. The automatics on the column just used the shift lever to do that.
Thank you, I'm seeing how it works now. Was able to get the 71 Plymouth Manual, and the 73 dodge manual from the My Mopars site and I see the columns are basically the same after 70....It just has a very brief description of how the floor shift columns differ from the columns shift cars.

My only other question is: With a factory floor shift car, Can you take the key out just by pushing the lever at the switch even if the car isn't in park on the floor?

-
Back