-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyper72Valiant

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Hey guys, does anybody have a 1974 or later (1974, 1973, 1972...) block I can use for a good 408 stroker motor? Only reason I want a later block is because I was told they were stronger...if not, please let me know. I have gotten the run around for a few months from some local guys, I know you guys wont let me down. Engine will be around 450 HP from what my machine shop guy told me. Please let me know guys so I can run my Valiant while the weather is good.
Thanks,
Cory

I have a 360 block. It's just the block and nothing else. It's in Canada though.

Sorry I was out of town the past couple of days. Ya, I am in Draper, UT, if the price was good I would pay to get the 360 shipped here. Ok, yes, so the earlier '71-'74 block is called the 496 casting, ya that's what I am looking for. I forgot to add I will need pulleys and some other things I can use on the motor. The build will have Edelbrock Alum. heads so I don't need any heads to come with the engine if I can avoid it. Hey Baxter, I will be in the Portland, OR area in 2 weeks...hmmmm, that might work. I will let you guys know what I can do and what I decide, is there anybody else close to Utah that has a good motor I can use? Thanks for all the replies so far!

I have an early block, std bore, that has been tanked and magged.

It's in SoCal $350

It's your car and your money, but you can get a roller motor from the early 90's or go with a Magnum. The only thing is, if you already have your heads then the LA would be the way to go.

I'm running a 408 Magnum, when I had the bottom end built by the shop he was impressed with the flatness of the block. It was within .005 across the cylinder bores, so we left it alone.

You can also have your heads drilled and tapped to work with the Magnum or LA intakes.

Just a thought,

It's your car and your money, but you can get a roller motor from the early 90's or go with a Magnum. The only thing is, if you already have your heads then the LA would be the way to go.

I'm running a 408 Magnum, when I had the bottom end built by the shop he was impressed with the flatness of the block. It was within .005 across the cylinder bores, so we left it alone.

You can also have your heads drilled and tapped to work with the Magnum or LA intakes.

Just a thought,

I agree

I think I have found a guy a few miles from me that has a 73 360 engine and trans that will sell both to me for a total of 400.00....I might just go with that and get my engine to the machine shop asap. The jist of the build is all forged internals 408 stroker motor, Eddy Alum. Heads and MSD system (already have MSD6AL). That's all I know about the build, the machine shop guy had some "recipes" that he said worked great for what I am planning. This engine will take the place of my dead slant six, 90 H.P. to ~450 H.P. should be wild! Was a daily driver in high school, but, now will be the weekend/good weather car to cruise in.

The only reason I was getting the early 360 block was because I wanted this engine to just be bulletproof and I read that those blocks were stronger.... Does this plan sound good guys? I'm not exactly the smartest with what works good with what in/on an engine to make good numbers. Any help is much appreciated, if anybody has experience with these engines or some input, feel free, I am all ears.

I'm in salt lake and have a 360 block I'll sell ya for alot cheaper than 400.say 50 bucks for just the block. that's if you havent already purchased the other.the guy i bought it from said it was standard bore but i have never checked.

Well guys, I got the complete engine and tranny out of a '74 motor home for $450! The engine is at a reputable machine shop that was recommended to me by my neighbor who has used him for some Mopar engine builds, one of which is a 440 Duster. I don't think they are all Mopar but what it looks like to me is that that is what they prefer to work on! Got there and they were dynoing a 426 hemi engine....that thing was loud! Also got the tranny to a guy that was recommended to me from the machine shop, says he just does it out of his garage and is great! I will let you guys know any further details, thanks for all the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back