need a half second

-

mr.318

Reaction score
okay i've got me some springs and 15 inch tires got my 60 ft. down to 1.68 1/8 mile time 8.89 my sons srt all kind of mods. is running 8.36 i want to beat him here goes again it's a 318 bored 40 167 pistons zerodecked 360 202 vavle heads 268 comp cam 340 stock intake 600 eld. carb 904 transgo kit 355 s.g. rear headers 2 1/2 pipes out the rear 71 swinger what can i do to it to get it quicker i got a 360 on the stand but i want to do it the 318 way can it be done with a intake and cam swap?

wow you have a hell of a 60foot for only a 8.89. How well is it tuned? I pulled a 2.1 60 and a 9.0 1/8th mile with my 318, 8.9 with a 1.9x in vegas. lol, yea i NEED tires, and a sticky track. Do you have a automatic or stick car? Just for the lack of mention of a tq converter.

Intake would surely help you out. Airgap/RPM, im on your tail or a hair behind with 4/10ths of a second more 60ft. Some where its dropping off pretty good.

I have to agree with the comment of your 60 foot time, that is excellent. What is your mph? What tires are you using? I say it would be easier to go faster with more cubes, but I understand wanting to max out your present motor. It makes for great bragging rights. How much does your car wiegh? As well could you please share with us your suspension specs? My car is a 1973 Scamp with a 340 from a 1970 Duster with 3:91 gears. The car wieghs just over 3600 lbs. with me in it and does a 1.96 60 foot time with Mickey Thompson S/S Indy Profile soft compound G 60 14 tires. As well I run a 904 transmission with a B&M Holeshot converter. My best 1/8 et is 8.78 at 86 mph. I am running an old Holley Streetmaster single plane intake. I bought it years ago based mostly on cost. It was on sale at the time and the Edelbrock LD 340 had just been discontinued, so I couldn't find one. I was wondering if I replace this intake with the new Air Gap intake what could I expect. Thanks for any help from forum members.

Yea, what stall converter is in there?

The RPM (Air-Gap I'd do for later 360 use) is likely a 20 HP gain. The 268 could be swapped out for a split duration cam with more lift. IMO, the 2.02 valve is too big. Hence the converter question.

isn't the 268 cam a split duration? at least the xe one is.(268/276). i agree to change the manifold. that cast iron is hurtin' the performance.

If you are only running the Comp 268H High Energy cam, I'd say more cam is in order (I run that cam in my 3/4 ton 4X4 trailer towing pickup). An XE274 would sure perk it up above 3000 RPM. The Performer RPM intake will also help, if for no other reason than taking 40+ pounds off the nose. Beyond that, a 600 is gonna be slightly small, but good for the street. Play with an open hole spacer at the track. Some mufflers can be restrictive too, even if "flow" is part of the name.

You didn't mention the converter, actual compression (I'm guessing about 9:1 unless those heads were really shaved), or what your car weighs. I would think with the above cam and 3.55 gears, a converter with a 2800-3200 RPM stall speed would help you out.

Beyond that, make it lighter.

Your 60' is unbelievable. I 60' at 1.60 and run 7.20's. Granted I should be at the 1.45ish mark but still your car is dialed in at leaving. You need more power to accelerate you car faster once rolling.

Chuck

squeeze it...

Cheap and easy with a 100 shot.

LOL, I did that and ended up married....oh, wait, were talking cars not women....wait, there kind of the same,,,, sort off.

redfastback said:
isn't the 268 cam a split duration? at least the xe one is.(268/276). i agree to change the manifold. that cast iron is hurtin' the performance.
Comp Cams has a standard single pattern cam line up and the 268 is something like a 218 @ .050 in duration.
The XE268 steps up to something like 224 @ .050 duration.

Stall, tire size and car weight are key combos and inforamation when looking at cams and there durations to match up.

squeeze it...

Cheap and easy with a 100 shot.

LOL, I did that and ended up married....oh, wait, were talking cars not women....wait, there kind of the same,,,, sort off.

LMAO... never thought of it that way, plus, the 100 shot could as easily be 100 PROOF!
Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.

A 100shot will be the easiest and cheapest way....and you'll pick up more than a 1/2 second with it. I dropped off almost a full second with a 100 shot. Plus he has one power adder and you should have one as well.

Edelbrock performer intake,bigger carb (650)?,little more cam.
This should help.

I wouldnt throw any more cam at it yet. It seems to be running real well right now. I think I would swap the carb for a 750 Holley first. Next in line would be an intake swap. performer RPM or RPM airgap.

Gears and a better converter will help but then you may loose those 60ft times.

yea my son was driving it when it got that 60 ft. time my best in it is a 1.98 my sons car best 60 ft. is like a 2.12 the car runs good it seems to pull good but i guess i'm missing some m.p.h. the tires are 225-15-60's bfgr street tires ss springs clamped pioion snubber belive it or not airshocks with 20lbs. of air the 904 trans. is a lockup so i'm running a converter out of a late 80's dodge van which is suppose to be 1900 stall but it's only like 1300 it weighs 3300 lbs i don't know what the compression is i know it has 175 lbs. of compre. at the sparkplug holes i just put the gears in and don't want to go any higher i have to drive 46 miles to the track oneway whats funny about them 60 ft. times is my sons car has new drag radials which he ran slower with

I would just keep tuning it. Get the timing set perfect and dial the carb in.

Adam has a good point. I think the converter needs to be addressed first. A 750 for track duty souds very good. Be careful with the larger carb. You may loose some time in the 60. May

you think a converter would help i checked a couple places one dusterb318 suggs. acc was the cheapest they recomended like 3200 for my set up rumble i have some stock vavle 360 heads how much would they help others on the net have told me to stick with the heads i got and go with a 501 lift purpleshaft cam that just seems like a lot of cam i got a 750 eld. carb but one of the jets head is rounded off i'm gonna try to use an easyout on it how much would the airgap be worth as far as my et's

I love my ACC converter....it has been great but you can't go wrong with Dynamic or PTC either but I feel ACC quality is the same as the others they are just cheaper. A converter will make a huge difference. A 650 DP will be perfect as well....a 750 will be to big...I just went thorugh all that. I just bought a Bigs Stage 3 650 DP and it is fantastic....it's like I'm driving a whole new car....tons more low end and the same top end.

(Do) you think a converter would help? I checked a couple places, one dusterb318 suggs. acc was the cheapest. They recomended like 3200 for my set up. Rumble i have some stock vavle 360 heads. How much would they help? Others on the net have told me to stick with the heads i got and go with a 501 lift purpleshaft cam. That just seems like a lot of cam. I got a 750 eld. carb but one of the jets head is rounded off. I'm gonna try to use an easyout on it. how much would the airgap be worth as far as my et's?
Not trying to sound like a jerk, but........
You need to add in periods and such little things to aviod run on sentences.

A converter would certainy help. The idea of a higher stall converter is to allow the engine to launch the car in it's power band instead of slowly reaching it when you leave the line. A good converter will not feel like you have one or a mega high stall unit in there.

Spend the money on a good converter. Unless you plane to change things around alot, a cheap converter won't pay to purchase.

On a 318, I would prefur myself to use, in the following order;

Magnum heads
302 heads _ported with 1.88 (Max size) intake, 1.60 exhaust
360 small valve head. (1.88 )

If your looking for an exact amount, I can't say. (That also goes for the intake) However, the 2.02 is too large of a valve unless your 318 is a seriously pumped up engine. That valve was to big for the stock 340 back in the power making days.

The smaller valve keeps the air and fuel velocity high. This helps atomize the air and fuel well. A better and more complete burn is the result making more power. This works even better in a closed chambered head. Example; 302 or a Magnum head.

These 2 heads have a closed chamber and swirl tech. in them. This makes more power over a 360 head.
An open chamber head, like the 360 will make less power and require more advance in timing.

The idea of useing a big valve head and/or a 360 head is not allways the smart move. A stock 360 head doesn't actually move a whole lot of air. At low lift, it is actually terrible. (Stock head.) I think the 1.88 valve head will create more torque than a 2.02 head and help lower the ET. MPH should improve, but that iasn't allways the case. The idea is to be the first to cross the line. Most races are won/lost at the line. Equal light cutting by you and your comp.??? Then it's a race to be the first one to 100 MPH. Torque will do that well.

The heads work in conjuction with the camshaft. The Purple .501 @ 292 advertised duration is a big meaty cam I have personnaly used in a 360. The 360 was/is equiped with Edelbrocks heads and RPM air gap intake with a 750 Carter Comp series carb, Hooker super comps and a 4spd backing the engine with 4.10's out back.

While the car did move rather well for a street machine, it was a dead dog under 2600 rpm and didn't bother to wake up until 3000 RPM's. Now remember this is with not just a larger bore, but also with a seriously increased stroke over the 318. (More stroke equals more torque.)

The combo of big valve/poor flowing heads and said cam will make that think act like an overstuffed big belly filled pig. The gears (3.55) will not allow it to get into the powerband quickly.

Another thing about cams. I have no beef with the purple cams. But for the same money, you can do better and a more efficent power makeing cam.
Engines like a split duration cam. The idea is get out more exhaust for a cleaner intake charge. The exhaust port flows less than the intake. Even with a good balance, a little extra exhaust duration helps the intake charge stay cleaner.
(I am s fan of getting the most lift possible, but be sane about matters too.)

I think 750 is a bit large for a street ride. But it can be made to work. It's all in the tuning. For a street ride, I'd do a 650 at max on a teen. The smaller venturi's also help keep velocity up for better atomizing of the fuel.

All this talk of atomizing fuel. What does it all mean? How does it help?

Poor a 1/4 cup of gas into a cup. If you try to ignite the fuel with a spark, how does it go up. Boom! or just in a flame?

Make it a mist, like inside a ballon, and it'll go BOOM!
Why? The flame can travle fast and get to all the combustable gas fumes. In a liquid state, the flame can not gobble up all the explosive fuel. Air runs out. Remember, in a cylinder chamber, air is limited, fuel is adjustable.

Thats my thought train and I'm sticking to it. :glasses5:

i take little things to heart so i 'll post no more i've seen way worst writing than mine makes me feel like a jerk thanks for all your help guess i'll go back to reading books mabey i'll learn how to write

i take little things to heart so i 'll post no more i've seen way worst writing than mine makes me feel like a jerk thanks for all your help guess i'll go back to reading books mabey i'll learn how to write

Ahem, Mr.318 don't let someone correcting your grammar sour you on this maybe he was an English teacher and just can't kick it if you know what I mean I don't think he meant any harm now did you mr. Rumblefish anyway im sure he didnt lets concentrate on going faster than your boy!
Peace gentlemen!

Ahem, Mr.318 don't let someone correcting your grammar sour you on this maybe he was an English teacher and just can't kick it if you know what I mean I don't think he meant any harm now did you mr. Rumblefish anyway im sure he didnt lets concentrate on going faster than your boy!
Peace gentlemen!

Yeah, don't let little things like this bother you. FWIW, Mr. Rumblefish made 17 grammatical or spelling errors in his post (no harm intended, just making a point) which proves he's human as well. Don't give up and walk away, we haven't got your 318 running as you want it yet. I'm thinking a set of Magnum heads, a 284 degree cam, a single plane intake (318's love 'em), and a 750 vacuum secondary Holley will get you close. Just my $.02.

-
Back