Need a little motor pulling help

-

smythge

65 with a BIG BLOCK
Reaction score
I am pulling my motor (440) out over the next couple days, to this point everytime I have done it the transmission was attached. I have found a new motor and I am doing a swap so I want to leave the transmission in. I have the exhaust out, all the normal stuff out of the way (radiator, alernator pulleys wires etc), going to climb under the car tonight remove the cover, and all the bellhousing bolts and the starter I am wondering about removing the torque converter bolts tips or tricks? As well as anything that needs to be done specifically to seperate the motor and tranny. As always thanks for all the help.

Greg

You can access the convertor to flexplate bolts with the inspection cover off or the starter out. I would advise leaving the convertor behind with the trans. There should be 4 bolts.

If you are going to use the same flex plate with the new motor before you unbolt the converter from the flex plate spray a little spot of paint on both the converter and flex plate. The 4 bolts have an asymetric pattern (meaning it will only go 1 way) it will be easier to get the converter and flex plate to line just by lining up the paint spot.

That long? ;) The trick is when you go to put something back in..Place the flexplate over the convertor (stil in trans) and rotate it unti lthe bolts all line up...(make sure you are facing the flex as it will be on the motor..the concave side goes towards the crank hub...) Then, use a little paint/primer and spray accross one ear of the flexplate and convertor lug..remove the plate, and you only have to align the painted ear with the shadow on the convertor, and all the bolts will line up perfect the first time.

Now's also a good time to consider a converter change if you're running a stock low stall unit and want some extra zing.

-
Back