Need a new car...25K

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I need a new, dependable, car that gets good gas mileage and will seat 4 and a dog. I would like to get some opinions on what car to get. I have a budget of 25K dollars.

In reality you are better off getting something like a 3 year lease return. You save thousands and don't take the huge deprecation hit.

WIsh I could recommend a Mopar but fact is Ford is building the best Domestic right now.

Normally I would say Toyota but they are being a bit shady right now.

Its kind of a chick car but my GF has a Honda CRV and gets AMAZING gas mileage. Its really big inside (i'm 6'4 240 lbs) and i love driving it. Granted its kind of a chick car....

My aunt and uncle just got a CR-V too. They are both in their 50s and love it.

He was looking at one of the Jeep Wrangler 4 doors but those things are gutless and get crap gas milage.

I need a new, dependable, car that gets good gas mileage and will seat 4 and a dog. I would like to get some opinions on what car to get. I have a budget of 25K dollars.
Easy. Dodge Ram ST Quad Cab. Selling for under 21k. Warranty. Kids will love it. You can tow with it. And the dog will love it. And it will last forever. And..it gets 21mpg. Dogs and cars no. Dogs and trucks yes.

For 4 and a dog?

Domestic: I would get a Ford Taurus.

Import: I would get a Honda Accord.

Small SUV, Domestic: Ford Escape

Small SUV, Import: Honda CR-V

Don't have much experience with the Taurus, if it's the new platform. Not a big fan of the 500 platform. But I like the Fusion. Didn't have to touch 'em much.

After having to test drive and work on the Escapes they're apptly named. I couldn't wait to escape from 'em. They have an issue in the suspension that's yet to be figured out. Cupping tires in less than 10,000 miles. I can give you a list on these things.

If you're looking import don't be shy of looking at the Sonata. The "new" 2.0L and 2.4L are based off the global motors that Chryslers are using thanks to the shared technology Benz had in place.

And I'd throw the Fusion and the Sonata up against the Accord any day of the week.

The CR-V has suspension issues. They took the Civic platform and threw another 500-1000# of body on top of it. They blew through lower control arms.

I was afraid of the backlash I would get if I mentioned a Hyundai.

I would definitely look at a Sonata.

Check out both Hyundai and Kia and you may be shocked at the quality. 10 year / 100,000 warranty is nothing to laugh at.

I purchased a Nitro SLT new in November of 2008 and is great rig. Took a road trip from Washington State to San Diego last Nov and averaged 24.5 mpg. This included those 85mph trips across Nevada. It goes thru snow in 2wd better than a lot of rigs in 4wd. Before my son went into the Marines he took it out 4 wheeling with his buddies and it went places that his friends vehicles couldn't.

I really like the fact that it looks like nothing else. I have grown tired of the cookie cutter cars of today when the only way to tell them apart is the emblem. But that is just me.

Chuck

From total respect everyone here would love a second mopar. or third :p anyways I would get a 6 cy. suv. like one of the ford or chevy things.
In my opinion all new cars are pretty much crap. except for the Dodge trucks and the newer generation "muscle" cars.

i was just mentioning a charger, i like the look, it could hold 4 and a dog, also the 6 cylinder versions get pretty decent milage

I can't believe that no one has suggested a Charger.

Dallas

A nice AWD V6 Charger would be the best of both worlds, giving you the grip for inclimate weather and good handling characteristics. But I have no experience with the mileage... what are they getting for mileage since that's a priority in this case? Just curious since a Charger might replace the wife's Hyundai in the stable in the next few years.

Check out both Hyundai and Kia and you may be shocked at the quality. 10 year / 100,000 warranty is nothing to laugh at.

Won't get any backlash from me. Not since my work at a Ford/Mercury/Hyundai dealership put my wife in a Hyundai. (And not a Ford. And I'm Ford certified.)

By the way, that 10/100 warranty is bumper to bumper. Hyundai takes care of little things like headlights, rust through, etc. Just make sure you take care of your maintanence as listed in your owners manual for the powertrain: oil changes at correct intervals, trans services, coolant flushes, etc. (Wear items not included. Brakes are only covered for the first 12,000 which makes sense since wear on these are driver dependant.)

Well, I've done the seats 4 and a dog thing with my 03 Subaru Outback for some time now and it fits the bill very well. Only thing outstanding about the car is the AWD system. Fit and finish is better than average. Engine is rough, power marginal, but economy is great. $25 K probably won't buy a new one, but you probably will get low mileage, 1 year old. Don't buy one if you are big. I'm 6' and 220 lbs and this thing feels like a roller skate. Also don't buy one if you can't do the repairs yourself, or trust your independant mechanic implicitly. Subaru dealer support stinks. One thing I do like about the car is that it is more carlike than trucklike considering the SUV status. Seats 4 and a dog puts you in an SUV. Don't even consider a sedan or a truck.

My .02.

mazda 3? my dad has an 06 he bought brand new. We have taken it on a cross country trip and logged lots of miles on it. the car is solid it has yet to let him or me down. The only flaw i could find with this car is its front wheel drive, other than that its a great car. It handles like its on rails. The brakes are amazing, 4 wheel discs make the car stop great. the engine is great pleny of power. 5 speed is solid and feels really sporty. interior is great super comfortable, looks great and is very functional.

now granted im talking about an older car im fairly positive the next generation one uses the same chassis, maybe slight interior modifications. they changed the body a bit and i think its ugly as sin now. if you dont think its ugly id highly recommend at least test driving one. defiantly go with the manual trans way more fun.

Had a Charger past 2yrs (co. car) and we just switched to the new 2010 Ford Taurus.

Being a Mopar guy and growing up hearing my brothers' Found On Road Dead and Fix Or Repair Daily- I was real skeptical... and loved the look of my Charger. I also had a perception of the old Taurus "look".

BUT- I have to say, I have been driving the new Taurus now for a couple months and I like it better than the Charger. Mind you, the body doesnt have the lines of the Charger, but the Taurus is a real nice car. Sharp body looks nothing like the Taurus of old, and the interior, ride, trunk space, etc blows the Charger away. The trunk is HUGE!!! and you can fold down the back seats.
The only thing I dont really care for is the foot-room for the driver. The left side cuts in at an angle and you cant kick your left foot out or long drives.
It doesnt handle quite as well but the ride is alot quieter and smoother.

I still get sneers from my brother when he comes over for dinner... :burnout:

I have to agree on the Nitro or it's Brother the Liberty. I have the Liberty with the 3.7 V6. Lots of room, good power, power every thing, 4WD. Had a 2002 that I put 200,000 mi on, now have a new one I bought a year ago. $18,800 out the door. Life time power train warrenty.

I haven't read past the first page of recommendations but I would say go shop around the Ford dealership, I'm sure there is something there you will like. You might also check the Chargers or 300's that are out. We really like our Charger but the dog might be an issue depending on size. The V8 mileage is so-so on the Charger but my wife's lead foot doesn't help. My mother just bought a used Town Car and I am surprised at how much I like it. If you want a nice full sized car you might want to look at a Grand Marque or the Lincoln.

I'll speak for the hyundai sonata. I considered one for my wife a while back. It is indeed a very nice car fo the money with a great interior.
And yep, the warranty is indeed very good.

Fear of backlash from facts? Bah!
A lot of car for the price.

-
Back