Need a new OEM-style distributor, suggestions?

-

kiss

Reaction score
My car currently has HEI ignition, with the coil and module mounted separately. I don't have the module on the distributor or anything.

It's currently a slant6 that's being swapped to a 360.

That being said, the external module and coil (mounted on the fender) will work fine with the 360. The thing is I don't have a distributor for it. All I need is an OEM style distributor.

This is just a stock 360 rebuild, no high performance, nothing special. Due to the junk sold at local autoparts stores i've been searching online for a new distributor. I'm hoping I can find one with a economy-style curve, not a racing curve. If worst comes to worst I could recurve one but I'm hoping to avoid that if possible. I also need a starting point...which distributor to buy? Any suggestions? I see some on summit racing (OEM style ones) but I have no idea what the curve is on them, and they're fairly expensive.

I don't want to alter my ignition at all, so I won't be getting a programmable advance box or anything :)

Salvage yard.... Get one that feels tight and clean it up. It'll be good to go and CHEAP.

Recurving for performance and adjusting for maximum timing will also help mileage, so it's really a win win. Simply no reason to leave it stock, especially since you will have the thing out and in your hand.

Recurving for performance and adjusting for maximum timing will also help mileage, so it's really a win win. Simply no reason to leave it stock, especially since you will have the thing out and in your hand.
Thanks!

So do you have any distributor part number ranges so I can find a good OEM one on ebay?

Or any new ones I could purchase on Summit/Jegs/etc?

Just looking for a starting point here since I don't even have a distributor yet :)

Any mopar distributor from a 73-76 SB should be a decent starting point. All should be electronic and viable units for modifications.

Thanks!

So do you have any distributor part number ranges so I can find a good OEM one on ebay?

Or any new ones I could purchase on Summit/Jegs/etc?

Just looking for a starting point here since I don't even have a distributor yet :)

Autozone carries them.
They are remans with new bushings, pickup and adjustable vac advance can included.
Year doesn't matter, just that it is smallblock electronic.
I know you said parts stores have junk, but these are worth getting for the price alone, because you couldn't buy the pickup and adjustable vac can for what they cost. (about 45 if I remember)

Of course you will want to curve and limit it, but still.

Or, you could get an ebay Skip White "Ready to run" and just use your coil.
For the price, they can't be beat either.

Tell us where you live and somebody in your village might have something.

Don't be afraid of junkyards. Check the Dodge vans since few pick those and easy work sitting in the seat. I looked in an early 90's one and found a small block w/ Edelbrock intake, MSD spark wires, and other goodies. It was 1/2-off day but getting late so I left the intake for someone else but grabbed the distributor (looked new), ECU, and wires.

I would buy the $45 ready-to-run distributor just to keep in the trunk as a backup. One guy reported a bushing failure (lube it first), but otherwise most have been trouble-free. Not risking much at that price. Best to use an e-core coil with any HEI.

I bought a vaccum advance can on rockauto a few years ago that stated "for better mileage", for my small block I recall. The number on the arm might be "14R". Haven't played with it.

-
Back