Need a picture of exhaust/steering linkage/oil filter fitment

-

ACME SS

Reaction score
Update: You can ignore this. I got it but maybe someone else will have a similar issue. Man is that tight if you leave room for maintenance of all the parts and clearance!

So I've got a 318 and yesterday I went to remove the oil filter and some goofball welded the exhaust tube in the way? I cut out a chunk and I'm trying to decide how to run the tube. It is very tight. I could really use a picture of how yours is run before I do something stupid. All I need is a picture of the steering linkage, filter, and the tube.
Thanks!

Jerry

Last edited:
ok here is what i have. not the greatest pics but hopefully they help some.

i also have the early 340 manifolds and 90* filter adapter.

IMG_20220414_145446.jpg

IMG_20220414_145502.jpg

IMG_20220414_145540.jpg

IMG_20220414_145644.jpg

Use a shorter filter.
Photos are not from OP.

I wish posters would lead with photos!:poke::rolleyes:
Sorry...I was having problems with getting pictures from my phone to my laptop and had to resurrect my password. Here you go.
The diameter of the filter is greater than the distance between the exhaust and the torsion bar. I since cut the tube and was in the middle of welding it up when I ran out of wire. I also have a rub on the oil pan from the steering linkage and the idler arm ball joint nut made that gouge in the exhaust tube.

I purchased a new oil pan cause this one was glued on so hard I pretty much destroyed it when removing it. (if only they had used this silicone on the Columbia shuttle) I removed it because there were so many loose bolts on this car that I wanted to inspect and check the torque on the connecting rod nuts and main bearing caps. Everything checked out good internally.

Hopefully this will fix all the cheesy things that were done in the past.
IMG_6593[1201].jpg

Last edited:
Use a shorter filter.
I had purchased the shortest filter available according to the parts guy but the one on the engine was literally 1/2" from the torsion bar. I couldn't believe I got it off but then it was stuck and could not come out through any gap I could find. Maybe I could have bagged it and tied a string to it and lifted up from above but who does that!?

So your issue is not that the filter, when installed, interferes, but that changing the filter is a challenge?

Sorry...I was having problems with getting pictures from my phone to my laptop and had to resurrect my password. Here you go.
The diameter of the filter is greater than the distance between the exhaust and the torsion bar. I since cut the tube and was in the middle of welding it up when I ran out of wire. I also have a rub on the oil pan from the steering linkage and the idler arm ball joint nut made that gouge in the exhaust tube.

I purchased a new oil pan cause this one was glued on so hard I pretty much destroyed it when removing it. (if only they had used this silicone on the Columbia shuttle) I removed it because there were so many loose bolts on this car that I wanted to inspect and check the torque on the connecting rod nuts and main bearing caps. Everything checked out good internally.

Hopefully this will fix all the cheesy things that were done in the past.
View attachment 1715907682

can't you pull it up through the engine bay? thats how i get mine out.

I have always used the 90 adapter on Small Block V8 A body...it makes life a bit easier. Oil will drip on the stock exhaust and you have to clean it up, Im sure some may have a drip shield or something they use, cardboard maybe...?

So your issue is not that the filter, when installed, interferes, but that changing the filter is a challenge?

Exactly. I cut the chunk out and cut some miters in it to bend it closer to the oil pan. The person who installed it did not run it parallel to the transmission/engine but instead "cut the corner" and put it right in the way of the filter.

When I purchased the car, the oil appeared to be new and I only drove it on a few test drives so I procrastinated on the change in favor of larger projects. Ironically, I used to teach lubrication to power plant maintenance personnel but its like they say, "the cobblers kids go without shoes".

can't you pull it up through the engine bay? thats how i get mine out.
I wish I could have. I installed AC and the lines run into the hole where the factory fan used to be. There is no way you can get your arm down there, yet alone extract the filter. I got it though, just had to do a little mitering of the tube and welding. Your pictures helped me though because I wasn't sure what side of the torsion bar it should be on. Its also much easier to visualize once you cut the tube out and mock it up because its pretty tight if you are trying to leave room for oil pan removal.

I'll post pictures of the fix when I complete the welding next week. I had a part fail in my MIG gun.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Update: You can ignore this. I got it but maybe someone else will have a similar issue. Man is that tight if you leave room for maintenance of all the parts and clearance!

So I've got a 318 and yesterday I went to remove the oil filter and some goofball welded the exhaust tube in the way? I cut out a chunk and I'm trying to decide how to run the tube. It is very tight. I could really use a picture of how yours is run before I do something stupid. All I need is a picture of the steering linkage, filter, and the tube.
Thanks!

Jerry
Jerry, I think I have the OEM 90 degree adapter and bolt I can make you a sweet deal on so you can fix it to use the long filter form now on. You'd have to buy the gaskets for it. Tom Hand

-
Back