Need a reliable trans that will last

-

Sublime69

Reaction score
I currently have a broken 904 in my car. Not sure what happened. It might be something stupid, I just haven't actually dropped the pan to look. The fluid doesnt look or smell burnt, it looks brand new. Its a built 904 that I was told will handle 500 hp. After doing a burn out it broke.

What its doing: I put it in drive and it goes no where, if i rev it, it will rock maybe 1/2 an inch. If I put it into 1st, it will drive. But if i give it to much throttle it will just drive through 1st. Like its slipping. I have to manually shift it (on the column) into 2. If i put it from 1st then right to 3rd, it was go into second and upshift on its own into 3rd. It will also downshift on its own.

The car makes around 550 hp. Now, my question is... is it worth fixing this 904? Can it really handle what my car is making? Or should I go a different route? I take the car on the highway a lot so maybe something with overdrive?

Id like to keep it an auto. I defiantly Dont want a manual valve body but ive also always had issues with getting my lokar cable to shift perfect.

Thoughts on what I should do??

With the right parts (and the depth of your pockets) I know of a 904 that lived behind a 1200 HP, Steve Schmidt engine. My ex-boss runs a BA/A Pontiac that has run in the high 6's at a hair over 200MPH. That of course is on the extreme end, however,
If you want to see what parts his company makes for the 904 and other series of High Performance transmission check out the website www.tcsproducts.com

They sell to most of the major performance transmission builders.

Bucky Hess used to run a 904 behind the Hemi in his 8 second Barracuda. Nuff said.

There's a guy in the Chicago area that does trans work on the side. He's very good mines been in my 400 hp car for about 11 years 10k miles with no trouble and I don't baby it with drag radials and 4,400k stall. If your interested I can text him tomarrow to see if he's interested. PM me if you are. Mike...

It's worth fixing the 904. Pull it and open it up or take it to someone reputable or referred in your area. Could be something simple.

I've beat on mine and running a tad more power than your setup and no issues at all.

Ok thanks guys! I guess ill see whats wrong with it first.

thesiren74: Yeah I just stomped it from a dead stop. After that if was never the same.

check line pressure. sounds like my Suburban when the filter was plugged.

-
Back