Need a stroker kit for my 340

-

Orange67Dart

Reaction score
I am having a bit of trouble finding a 372 or 416 kit to go with 76cc X heads and a .040 over block. I'm trying to get at least 9.5:1 comp. any help with finding such a kit would be great.

there is a guy on here he goes by ou812 his name is Brian he will fix you up im sure and there is another guy here goes mrl performance i think they are both good

You did not specify if you are looking for a forged or a hyper piston. Assuming you are looking for a hyper piston it may be a bit harder to find in .040" over which will give you 418" instead of what most sell as a 416 or .030" over in a kit. I have .040" Forged Diamonds #51412, but mine are -21.5 cc dished as i have Edelbrock magnum heads w/ 58cc which comes in @10.69:1 ratio. If you used the #51010 Diamond flat tops w/-6.8 cc you would come out w/ approx 10.2:1 this is assuming your heads are 76 cc. Did you measure them. The #51412s like mine would give you slightly less than 9.1:1 w/ the 76 cc heads. Kinda' between a rock and a hard place. You would have to know your deck height and combustion cc to make a descision. Ross,JE and others have other options also. With todays swill fuel you don't want to go too high on compression.

Glen

Thanks, This site rocks. The heads cc'd @ 76. I didn't consider the ethanol. I was looking to go 10:1 but now I just want to get it all back together. My builder is actually looking into a set of the diamond pistons, he said they would make a low 9 ratio and they are forged. I'll be checking with him tomorrow. I mentioned MRL Performance as well. Should I just skip the stroker idea maybe?

76 ccs is a big chamber. Have had over a dozen X heads over the years and the biggest chambers ive seen were 72 ccs

go here
http://www.scatcrankshafts.com/Download_Catalog2.asp
click on the word chrysler

on page 3 of the pdf you will see chrysler small block rotating assemblies
i would go with one of the ones under the category "340 MAIN 4340 FORGED COMPETITION ROTATING ASSEMBLIES" not any of the cast assemblies

this one is the highest compression:
416 4-340-4000-6123-2123 2-ICR6123-2124 4.000" 6.123" FORGED 4.070 FLAT 12.1 11.3 10.8 1-48013-1 1-48013 1-48013BI

1-48013 full kit $1,433.95 at summit (your machine shop balances)
comes with pistons rings rods bearings etc

p.s. you should call SCAT's tech line before you order, they will advise you on what compression it gives and might need to adjust pistons for your overbore. they will probably give you a matching price to summit or a special part number for you to order it by.

If you are having trouble finding a stroker kit, then you are not looking very hard. Do a search of this website for stroker, and there are enough threads to keep you reading for days.

If you are rebuilding a 340 and doing it the right way, then spend the extra $$ and get a stroker kit. You won't be disappointed. My stroker build budget is $7500 and that doesn't include headers or ignition.

Good luck!!

Thanks Brian, actually I'm looking quite hard. It's the 4.08 bore piston that is causing the trouble. As far as the budget, I'm closing in on that mark. I have the headers ( had them ceramic coated as they were out of the car ) and an MSD system, brand new.

Don't get a balanced kit, get it unbalanced and have a good shop balance it correctly. Scat does a horrible job balancing their kits and when you complain they just tell you its as good as factory which is lousy.

Okay, I'll now be going with the 416. The heads definitely are 76cc they were measured several times. Summit has all sorts of kits but they all say 4.070 bore, but I'm waiting for them to get back to me on a quote for a kit with the pistons I need. I tried to look at Bloomers site but its not working right now.

if the block is too much of a constraint you could sell it ... i'm sure there are people that would buy it. then grab a 360 somewhere, have that bored to match the kit you prefer

I purchased a 340 stroker kit from bloomer performance, and needed
a custom piston. He had them made up at no extra cost. I received the kit with the custom pistons, in about 3 weeks. He didn't cash my check until
the kit was ready to ship.

-
Back