Need a tool!

-

Ethan Morris

Reaction score
I am trying to rebuild my steering gearbox for my duster, and I cannot seem to remove the spanner nut. I am looking for tool C-3988 and C-3989. Anyone have a link where I could buy one? Or possibly have one that I could borrow/buy? Located in Tampa, Florida. Thank you!

Make one. Two pieces of 3/16 X 1/2 X 12 to 18 inch flat stock hinged together with a 3/8 bolt. Drill and tap for 5/16-18 on the ends. Grind the threads off the ends of a pair of grade 8 5/16-18 bolts to fit the sockets on the steering box nut. Thread them in, ajust them to the same on the stick out dimension from the flat stock and tighten a couple of nuts down on them to hold them in place. When you put the studs in the spanned nut, slip a piece of pipe over the hinged end to use as a handle and hold everything together. You’ll find an adjustable stud spanner useful for a lot of other things once you make one. This is similar to the end result.

64D311C4-1523-48BB-9C39-0735284502F7.png

Last edited:
Make one. Two pieces of 3/16 X 1/2 X 12 to 18 inch flat stock hinged together with a 3/8 bolt. Drill and tap for 5/16-18 on the ends. Grind the threads off the ends of a pair of grade 8 5/16-18 bolts to fit the sockets on the steering box nut. Thread them in, ajust them to the same on the stick out dimension from the flat stock and tighten a couple of nuts down on them to hold them in place. When you put the studs in the spanned nut, slip a piece of pipe over the hinged end to use as a handle and hold everything together. You’ll find an adjustable stud spanner useful for a lot of other things once you make one. This is similar to the end result.

View attachment 1716188153
I did similar for the much hated screw on fan clutches

-
Back