Need advice: Steering Play on 72 Duster

-

Dusty17

Reaction score
Hey guys, need a little advice. Recently got a 72 Duster(318ci 3 speed manual yada-yada-yada) with standard manual steering. Turning radius is just as tight as it should be(as far as i know) but when going straight I notice a good 1/8 turn of play in the steering wheel. I plan on jacking up the car (so i can see past the damn headers) this weekend and trying to maybe tighten up....whatever happens to be loose! I don't don't know if you've caught on that i don't know much about manual steering. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
-Joe

Hi Dusty17, I had the same problem with my '71 Duster. Manual steering tends to take more of a toll on front end parts I believe. Try this, after jacking up the vehicle(use jackstands!) have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you inspect the front end components.Usually the worn part will be evident. My outer tierods were wore and were causing the play in the steering wheel. You'll find good help on this site on how to replace the parts and you may need a wheel alignment afterword. Good Luck!

Hi Dusty17, I had the same problem with my '71 Duster. Manual steering tends to take more of a toll on front end parts I believe. Try this, after jacking up the vehicle(use jackstands!) have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you inspect the front end components.Usually the worn part will be evident. My outer tierods were wore and were causing the play in the steering wheel. You'll find good help on this site on how to replace the parts and you may need a wheel alignment afterword. Good Luck!
Thanks for the input man! I'll definitely try that out this weekend. I'm trying as hard as i can to not attempt power steering because with the little room i have around the column i cant afford a screw up. Thanks again!
-Joe

Not sure how power steering would inherently have less play in the gearbox. You can adjust out most of the gearbox play using the input load nut first, then the sector shaft adjustment. However, first determine that is where the play occurs. Just turn the steering shaft back and forth by hand and see how much lost motion before the Pitman arm moves. As mentioned, first jack it up and push and pull on the wheels, looking for play in the tie rod ends (most common source), idler arm, and ball joints.

-
Back