need advice, thinking of switching cars...

-

xwaynestaticx03

Reaction score
i need some advice... ive lost interest in my 71 duster project, but like most, i have too much money in it and its not worth much of anything. ive done the 73 and up disc conversion and rebuilt the front end. ive lost interest because the body has alot of rust and collision issues and i just dont have the time/patience for major sheet metal repair. my good friend has a 66 dart gt that hes willing to sell me for a good price which is in alot better shape body wise. now ive got 2 questions: 1) will the 73 disc conversion work on the dart along with the front end and t-bars and 2) am i foolish to think about parting the duster to fix the dart? honestly, neither car is my dream car but id really like to have a nice runner to play with this spring/summer. what do you guiys think?

Patch that duster back together and just have some fun. Duster has lots more parts around and value is better than early cars in my opinion. I love the early cars, but 66 and earlier are harder to build with less options for performance.

I just swapped 73 brake conversion,to my 66 Dart and it was easy.You say the bodys better(olso take money into consideration)Get the Dart and do the Demon at a later time.Cruize all summer!!Have fun,with what ever your choice is!Post some pics. of both cars then it,s easier to choose,which needs the most $$$$$$$?

trim 029.jpg

i say throw some fenders and front end on the duster and start driving it. you will be in the same boat with the dart. you will be starting the some of the same things you have already done with the duster. i don't think it is going to make you happy in the long run switching 1 problem for a new different problem.......early a's are another ball of wax.

i hear what you guys are saying... ill have to post pics. the duster needs full quarters both sides and some patching in the engine bay. dart only needs lower patches in the rears. i wish i could just throw the duster together for now, but i have no driveline. tossed the old slant and the trans was junk. it just sucks not having something i can drive

i hear what you guys are saying... ill have to post pics. the duster needs full quarters both sides and some patching in the engine bay. dart only needs lower patches in the rears. i wish i could just throw the duster together for now, but i have no driveline. tossed the old slant and the trans was junk. it just sucks not having something i can drive
Does the 66 Dart have an engine and tranny?How bad is the body,tires,interior?Is it road worthy and would it be expensive to get on the road?Crunch some ##,s and see what you can afford!

I looked for a year and a half to find my fish that had no major body work, I can take it completely aprt and back together but I can't paint a lick. I would be feeling the same as you with all that body work to look ahead to.

dart is a running/driving slant six. body is alot better. no collision problems, just some rust. like i said, ill have to post some pics. two other questions i have. will a 73 and up 8 1/4 fit in the dart or is it too wide? any chance the rear leafs will work too?

Throw some lights on it and drive it!

Can you say "Rat Rod".......I mean "Rat Duster"

That might be kinda' cool. Put a set of dune buggy headlights on it. Maybe a set of cycle fenders mounted to the spindles & a chopped down hood. :-D Too bad it doesn't have a drive train. :angry7:

I totally feel you, my '70 Duster hasn't been running since October. I've thought about getting rid of it but mine has a surprisingly clean body, which is the main reason I haven't gotten rid of it yet. I think if the body was in bad shape I would have gotten rid of it for something in better condition, since for me mechanical work is more than enough at this point.

well guys, ive done some thinking and ive come to a decision i think. im not going to get the dart right now. but i do think im going to part the duster. like everyone now a days, i really need the money. maybe farther down the line i can get a better vehicle that doesnt need so much tlc. probably save me money in the long run

awwww! you know, right when you think it's hopeless, everything gets better if you just keep at it. i guarantee you're not going to get nearly as much as you have into it.... just my opinion. i guess i'm biased because i'm an auto restoration student and can do bodywork pretty well :roll:, but i would keep it and keep on buildin'!

Brother I feel your pain I'm just down the road from you and if I can help you locate parts I would. I'm still driving a /6 again this year but I fell into a good body. I hope things work out for you.

i know id lose my *** money wise... i got ripped off anyways when i bought my duster. i was too impatient and ending up impulse buying. ill definitely give this alot of thought before i go through with whatever i end up doing. i think at this point its either fix the duster or part it. the darts not my dream car, so i might as well pass on it

Your gonna regret passing up on the 66 Dart,they are starting to come around in price,also are a rare breed of A-body!My 2 cents.Check out the 66 Darts in the Early A-bodies forum.Some really nice cars!

All I can say is this. Build what you want. Parting will not get you where you need to be. Selling it whole not so good either probably.

Th next car always looks better, until you find it has a whole different list of issues.

For practical purposes I have built things (cars etc.) that I was not real excited about. It leads to a bad end for all involved.

Unless you are going to get evicted or something, Just throw a nice big tarp on the Duster and sit on it. Happier days are ahead if for no other reason than summer.

I've sold things that I wish I hadn't.

Just my two cents.

ROB

i felt this way when i was doing body work. it was the first thing i did with my duster because i knew it would take the longest time. i didn't have to replace any metal but from start to finish for body work took me a good year. i say keep picking away at the duster since you've put so much in already. why not get the duster running and wait till you have the money to do body work?

-
Back