Need assistance/info --exhaust

-

FlatheadGeo

Reaction score
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! My mechanic has my 63 Valiant Signet V200 2 door. The exhaust system was toast. My friend gave me an exhaust pipe from his 72 Scamp which doesn't fit. The Walker muffler and tail pipe is a fit. We are having trouble locating a new exhaust pipe. ??????

The engines in the 63 & 72 surely matter. Can you tell us? I am guessing a slant six since that was the only option in 1963. Later A-bodies were longer, so might have to cut out a straight section, but that isn't hard. Later models were also slightly wider, but that may not matter. Where it passes under the scallop on the driver's side of the transmission support is the most critical location. Does it clear the torsion bar?

Thanks for the info. I have to go back to the mechanic on Monday. I will share this info with him. I don't know exactly where it is hitting at this point. He said that it isn't clearing in a few places. I shall update on Monday. Thanks again!

I don't get it. Why not simply let an exhaust shop make one?

I just installed a 2-1/4" headpipe from Accurate on my '64 convertible, and it's almost a perfect fit. The only issue is that the pipe hits the torsion bar when the engine torques on startup and under hard acceleration. Their stock diameter pipe shouldn't have this problem.

Stroker,

The exhaust is all apart and at my mechanic's shop. Your idea might be a solution if I take the original to a shop and have them make it and let my mechanic install it. Good idea, thank you!

-
Back