Need Bigger Radiator?

-

cpthowdy1369

Reaction score
HELLO EVERYONE, I'M SWAPPING THE 318 IN MY 70 DUSTER WITH A 360 AND I WAS WONDERING IF THE STOCK 318 RADIATOR WILL BE SUFFICIENT OR WILL I NEED TO GET A DIFFERENT OR BIGGER RADIATOR? NO RACING WILL BE DONE WITH THIS CAR ( OK MAYBE JUST A LITTLE ) :thumbup:

What kind of 360, stock (~200 hp)?

It depends...if the radiator you have now in your car is in good condition, it should keep her cool. If it's old and tired, I'd get a new one, or have it recored.

Get a good temp gauge anyway.

I bet you have a 17x22 rad. if you recore it, go with what they call a "high efficiency". get 3 rows of course, but the hi efficiency is when the rows side to side are 3/8" on center instead of 1/2" on center. for every 9 rows you now get 12. that should be plenty. remember, do it once, do it right.

Put it together and test what youve got, then decide. No sense in spending money if what you've got works ?

You will be fine! I have a stock 318 non a/c radiator in my 1974 Satellite, I switched to a 340 engine with around 380 hp and it never over heats. I have since rebuilt it with a high flow efficincy core (two core!) because the cores got rotton. It only cost $200, (any radiator shop can do this). You could easily spend that going to a larger radiator. I would use the one you have, get the radiator flushed out and checked for leaks when you have the engine out. You could also get a high flow water pump which would help cooling also, plus it looks stock! Then if there are any cooling problems you can make changes with your radiator. :thumbup:

-
Back