Need computer help!

-
Last time I looked on Wal-Mart.com they had refurb laptops and desktops that would be perfect for college work unless you are studying graphic arts... All were priced fairly for what you get. Just don't get a laptop and expect it to be a gaming machine.

My $0.02

yeah sorry OP. But that was was I was working towards.

New crap- not enough usbs, all sata drives, too many firewires that aren't used.

You have to figure out if wifi is in, or usb port, thumb drive, another usb port, etc. You can't have too many of the ports that YOUR stuff needs.

One more indulgence, if I may, directed at 67dart273-

Being able to repair a thinkpad actually got me a promotion at work (or maybe even my job) (post IBM).
After being there for about 9 months (and running out my "temp" time), our CIO comes into the electronics/computer shop with his IBM Think pad, tosses it on the desk in front of a group of 2-15+ year full time employees, and says "this isn't working, and I need it tomorrow", then leaves.
NO ONE could fix it!
I don't remember exactly what I did, but poking around in that god awful reference diskette (which I just happened to have) allowed me to reset/rescan something, and sure enough it worked, and I ("the temp") was able to get it back to him before the end of the day.

Apologies not necessary guys! I appreciate all the info and experiences everyone is throwing out at me. What really sux is that there are so many choices out there and someone will have good experience with one brand/model and the next guy will have nothing but problems with the same one. I'm not brand loyal to any one type. I have a Lenovo thinkpad at work that seems to hold up well.

:dontknow:

I tried searching for that new Lenovo model, but I can't find it.

Maybe not released yet. I found one site in UK that talked about it but no pic.

Do you want a large screen or easier portability?

I have a Lenovo T60 at work. They are starting to replace them with T400. I only need the basic 15.6" screen. (Eventhough the 17" would be nice).

-
Back