need converter help

-

moparkid340

Reaction score
ok so im taking my 318 and swapping it out for a mildly built 340 with a 512 lift cam can i still use the stock 318 904 converter and get by on the street with out any issieus?

Is the 340 an older internally balanced or newer externally balanced engine? They went to external balance in 72 on most but some 72 340's we're still internal balance. Your 318 is an internal balance engine so to use the converter your 340 would also have to be internal balance but if it isn't you can still use the converter if you use a B&M or TCI flexplate that adapts it. But the big issue is that cam. What's the duration on the cam? Lift means very little. Duration is what determines the rpm range in which it performs and how it idles. If it's the Mopar perf 512 lift cam in my opinion that's way too much cam for a stock converter. You might be able to use it but most likely it'll be a major dog out of the hole and not idle well in gear. You probably need at least a 2800 stall for a cam that big and a loose converter will let it idle in gear much better.

I agree with fishy. You are gonna have a tough time getting that to idle well in gear with a stock converter.

But the big issue is that cam. What's the duration on the cam? Lift means very little. Duration is what determines the rpm range in which it performs and how it idles. If it's the Mopar perf 512 lift cam in my opinion that's way too much cam for a stock converter. You might be able to use it but most likely it'll be a major dog out of the hole and not idle well in gear. You probably need at least a 2800 stall for a cam that big and a loose converter will let it idle in gear much better.

i agree also.

the 340 is a 1970 block and the 318 is 71
i have a fully built 727 with a shift kit and a 3000 stall converter id be willing to trade for a 904 of equel value

yes its for a small block. but i cant aford to have a drive shaft made for the 727
im moving states and have to have the car running and driving to street standereds the fastest and cheapest way i can so that means use the 904

The I would just go ahead & use the stock converter in the 904. It'll work, but the car will lurch when you put in drive, might have a tendency to stall at idle in gear, but you will be able to drive it.

-
Back