Need feedback on Netflix

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok with the kids new techie stuff for Christmas, we found that we could get Netflix on the kids PS3. We chkd their website out and it states they could up the prices without notice blah blah blah, the usual legal bs. Anyone use it, and what's the opinions??

Thanks
4spdragtop

No new releases and not as much content as the US Netflix.

I'd wait and see what they add next...

Riddler

I don't know if there is a difference in US vs Canada but I love mine. I don't have a ps3 but I bought a box from Roku that I hooked up to the tv. I got rid of my cable and just watch netflix from my tv now. Not a TON of "good new" movies, but plenty of good ones too satisfy me. As far as the rates changing mine just did this year. It went from $8.99 a month to $9.99. Not bad for what you get and you can still get more sent to your house.

im laid up right now and cant get off my couch for many weeks. I have a PS3 and a friend gave me there account info so I can log in and watch movies with out getting off the couch. The quality and speed that it streams is incredible. i wish there was more of a selection....its ok....but could be better. For the price im paying its worth it. if I had to pay more then 10 bucks a month Id say no, but for 10 and under id say its worth it. I hope they start adding more stuff soon, lots of TV shows and older movies.

any questions let me know. i have it on right now

I had Netflix for a couple of years and my biggest complaint was that it was 3-4 months after a movie was released onto DVD before it show up on Netflix. My moving watching is based on seeing commercial trailer ads on TV so I typically would forget about a movie before Netflix would have it or just pay the Cable OnDEmand price and never really took advantage of the subscription so I dropped it.

My daughter gave me an Apple TV box for Christmas which has access to Netflix too. I do like the way Apple TV is laid out compared to my Comcast Cable OnDemand and the prices are the same or cheaper. I may take a peruse of Netflix again since it is easy to stream the movie to the TV with the AppleTV box.

No PS3 here. We don't get any channels at all, no cable, I have the computer hooked up to the flat screen with a wireless mouse and keyboard and we have netflix and love it. that combined with Hulu and bit torrents there is no need for cable at all. We have the 1 DVD at a time package that is around $10 a month. They have only raised the price $1 in the last few years.

My buddy watches it on his PS3 and also loves it.

I've had it for some time and mostly use the instant streaming feature with the PS3. As others have mentioned, there could be a better selection, but I can say that it has improved over the last 6 months or so, IMO.

With regard to them being slow to release... like dgc333 I also will forget about if I don't add it to my queue. That is one feature I like is that you can add a movie even if it has not been released yet, or even older ones that have gone out of print so that if they are re-released they will be available to you.

Off the Netflix topic but still on the PS3... in the US you can also get movies via the Playstation Network. Priced per movie, so more expensive, and it is not instant as part of the movie must be downloaded before viewing begins. Still another nice option on the PS3 and they are very high quality... I can not see a significant difference from Bluray even on a 60" TV.

My .02 worth...

No PS3 here. We don't get any channels at all, no cable, I have the computer hooked up to the flat screen with a wireless mouse and keyboard and we have netflix and love it. that combined with Hulu and bit torrents there is no need for cable at all. We have the 1 DVD at a time package that is around $10 a month. They have only raised the price $1 in the last few years.

My buddy watches it on his PS3 and also loves it.

I have almost the same situation here with the exception of cable basic. 9.98 a month and one DVD at a time with a purpose built computer with a HDMI output and a rockin' wireless keyboard/mouse combo. The streaming quality ranges from acceptable to excellent, streaming choices are only fair. I've been watching Orange County Choppers every evening. Those guys crack me up, lol. I already watched all the Top Gear streams they had availible.

Way worth the 10 bucks a month as I refuse to feed the cable pig. :bootysha:

Thanks everyone, I think that answered my questions. Cable here in Canada starts at about $35/month and Lori wanted to get cable for the boys rooms. Netflix is about $8/month here, but like I said earlier Im a little leery of them having my cc # and upping the rates to something ridiculous. By the sounds of it, no sports??? Only repeats?

Thanks4spdragtop

Thanks teetee

Ya Joe, Im not a fan of rerun sports, but the kids dont watch a lot of sports, and we have a satellite in the basement, but Lori wanted the boys to be able to watch the boobtube in their rooms. Looks like its a go

Thanks!

Nope, nothing real time like sports.

Thanks everyone, I think that answered my questions. Cable here in Canada starts at about $35/month and Lori wanted to get cable for the boys rooms. Netflix is about $8/month here, but like I said earlier Im a little leery of them having my cc # and upping the rates to something ridiculous. By the sounds of it, no sports??? Only repeats?

Thanks4spdragtop

I've had Netflix for at least a few years now and really like it for the most part. I also have a PS3 and use that on my 50" Plasma to play games, watch movies, Netflix etc. Not sure if they do it in Canada (it may be the $8 plan you are talking about) but when they raised their rates recently, they started offering an online/instant only plan that does not come with the DVD-by-mail option. I switched to this plan and it seems like a huge bargain to me.

Also, with the PS3 assuming it is connected to the Internet (and it has to be to use Netflix), you can use the built-in web browser to access the web. Using this you might be able to find live sports and stuff without having to pay anything extra.

FYI, Netflix also works with the Xbox 360, the Wii, some Blu-ray players, some TVs, and the Roku box. I also own the Roku and it comes with other "channels" than just Netflix...like sports, music, etc. I'm not sure if those channels cost extra, but the device is only $60-$100. The best thing is that you can use multiple devices on the same Netflix account which is cool if you have several TVs in your house.

Info on the Roku player: http://www.roku.com/

I have the 1 dvd out at a time plan and use it a lot to watch older tv shows on my laptop. It's nice to be able to stream them when ever I want and pause ect, the player is also very good quality and doesn't glitch like other players do. I don't have cable and it's nice to be able to watch all the shows I have been hearing about for years, I do wish thought that they would have more stuff instant stream but I hear they are working on that.

Thanks4spdragtop

I hate giving a cc number to anyone to "have" on file. I prefer to spend my money much more than having them do it for me.

enjoy the flicks.

Just hooked it up to the PS3. Needs more of a selection. It's still worth the money in my opinion.

Seems like a waste, for me anyway. If I happen to be home long enough to watch a movie, I want one NOW, not one that I have to mail order and then mail back. Netflix's online content SUCKS. HARD. They have poop for selection.

If you can get a device that supports VuDu, I recommend them. There is no monthly subscription, you only pay for movies you watch, and they have a MASSIVE selection of 1080p content.

Never mind the movies, just get out in that garage young feller, and take the kids out there too(I had to suffer with two youngins under my feet when working, you should too!)

-
Back