Need Front Disc Brake Help

-

Logan

Reaction score
I followed the preferred recommendations made in Mopar Action's Disc-O-Tech article... Large rotor, pin type for my '71 Swinger. The calipers and hoses are for a '71 Barracuda. They came from Rock Auto and were purchased too long ago to be returned. The correct brackets have been installed along with the rotors. My problem arises when I try to install the calipers.

There is a long spring approx 8" long (that came with the calipers) that is retained by the pin bolts that I simply cannot install correctly. The middle part of the spring wants to reside between the caliper housing and the outer brake pad.

Is there any one out there that can see what's wrong?

As a side note, I would suggest anyone gathering parts for a disc brake swap use the slider type set up because the anti rattle springs that attach to each bolt head are no longer available.

IMG_1907.JPG

IMG_1905.JPG

IMG_1903.JPG

I followed the preferred recommendations made in Mopar Action's Disc-O-Tech article... Large rotor, pin type for my '71 Swinger. The calipers and hoses are for a '71 Barracuda. They came from Rock Auto and were purchased too long ago to be returned. The correct brackets have been installed along with the rotors. My problem arises when I try to install the calipers.

There is a long spring approx 8" long (that came with the calipers) that is retained by the pin bolts that I simply cannot install correctly. The middle part of the spring wants to reside between the caliper housing and the outer brake pad.

Is there any one out there that can see what's wrong?

As a side note, I would suggest anyone gathering parts for a disc brake swap use the slider type set up because the anti rattle springs that attach to each bolt head are no longer available.

View attachment 1714945461

View attachment 1714945462

View attachment 1714945463
Hi go back to the original disco-tech article and follow his installation procedure,he states if there is any anti-rattle springs that came with your pin type calipers,to toss over your shoulder not needed thats what the author said in his article no worries

Well, guess your not familiar with working on pin type caliper disc brake systems.

Put the pads between the rotor.
Wiggle the caliper on top of the rotor and pads.
Put one of the pins all the way through one side of the caliper and pads.
It's a good idea to use some type of slippery lubricant on the rubbers in the caliper, and ends of the pins to aid in the installation.
Install the "spring" onto the pin, and the face of the caliper.
Go to the next pin, and install that pin while holding the spring in place to get the pin through the mounting hole in the front pad.
First time, takes getting used to, but use your noodle, and you can figure it out.

Brakes E & B Body Set 3 007 (Small).JPG

Brakes E & B Body Set 3 008 (Small).JPG

Brakes E & B Body Set 3 010 (Small).JPG

That's not completely true.
They are available, but you have to know where to look for them, if you want them.
Repops are available from numerous parts sources, sellers, vendors, all over the internet.
And i think Centric may even have them, in what's known as a caliper hardware kit, but I don't need any, to absolutely know.

And a FYI for you, Ma Mopar did away with those positioner pin, anti rattle clips, anyway, in later year production using pin type calipers, but i absolutely don't know when they did away with them, so that's one reason why every place doesn't list them, have them, in their catalogs, or on their web site parts pages.

There is nothing wrong with pin type calipers, that you just have to get yourself familiar with, that's all.

71-72 Mopar B C E Body Cuda GTX Chrysler Disc Brake Caliper Pin Positioner Set

Expensive little suckers, aren't they.
But one of numerous sellers out there.

Last edited:
Hi go back to the original disco-tech article and follow his installation procedure,he states if there is any anti-rattle springs that came with your pin type calipers,to toss over your shoulder not needed thats what the author said in his article no worries

I remember the "over the shoulder..." comment now, but haven't read the whole article for some time and forgot. Thanks.

Well, guess your not familiar with working on pin type caliper disc brake systems.

On this point you are quite correct.
Thanks to both of you for taking the time to help me out.

-
Back