Need help - 1968 Dodge Dart convertible - door won't open!

-

Jim64

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
We're working on the reassembly of a 68 Dodge Dart convertible. We installed the passenger door shell on the body - no windows or anything else, just the lock mechanism. Tried to open the door today and it won't! The rods are properly installed, and appear to be properly actuating the door latch - we compared it to the driver's door. It all looks good from inside the door. but when we try to open the door it opens about an inch - to the 'partially closed' position, but it's stuck after that. The hook mechanism inside of the latch body won't open and allow the striker pin to pass.

Without taking one apart, I don't understand the mechanism enough to figure out if there is a way to unlatch it from inside the door. Since we can't get the door open, we can't remove the latch to fix it! Anyone figured this out? Anyone have a detailed drawing of the latch that shows how it works internally?

Thanks!

Have you tried lifting up or pushing down on the door while pulling the latch.

Sometimes pushing in or pulling out at the same time can help

Spray WD-40 on the latch and lock mechanisms from the inside.

Then jiggle, push in some, jiggle some more, next blow out the lock/latch mechanism with a long tube blow gun > compressed air.

Try opening it again, make sure and spray lube the outside button and linkage too.

Worse case senario give it a push with a Porto-Power from across the back of the seat from the other door frame and see if you can get it to pop.

If you have the car supported up on jack stands, set it back down on it's wheels so the car frame structure can relax back to its original working positions.

☆☆☆☆☆

There's an adjustment you can make to change how much throw the linkage has to release the latch. Changing that might help. Also, since the door panel is still off, just reach inside and move the lever on the latch by hand to get more movement on it. You may have to remove the rods to do that.

Thanks cudamark - I hadn't considered removing the linkages. Makes sense - I'll give it a try.

-
Back