NEED help, 78 power wagon 318 to duster?

-

faster4231

Reaction score
Looking to purchase a 318 from a 78 power wagon today, and its avail for today only, I need to know if this will fit in my 75 duster, was stock with a slant six so I know I need the mounts, but what else? and will it still work with my 904 trans? I dont want to buy a motor that will be useless to me! Any and all help will be great! Thanks fabo

The quick answer, the engine will of course go in. You would need to change out the oil pan and either change the K Frame or get a /6 to SB conversion kit. The /6 tranny will not bolt up to the 318.
C

awesome, now when you say change out oil pan, is this a indepth procedure or pretty simple... ie no welding ect

You will have to change oil pan,pick up,exhaust,mounts & maybe the kickdown linkage & maybe ps pump & pullies depending on what direction you go.But it will work just fine. That truck should also have a 727 trans in it. if you locate a v8 904 trans,you won't have to change driveshaft.

Looking to purchase a 318 from a 78 power wagon today, and its avail for today only, I need to know if this will fit in my 75 duster, was stock with a slant six so I know I need the mounts, but what else? and will it still work with my 904 trans? I dont want to buy a motor that will be useless to me! Any and all help will be great! Thanks fabo

i bet it will still be there on monday

Yep, as already mentioned the engine will drop in your duster but you will need a car oil pan, motor mounts, and a LH A-body exhaust manifold. The '78 Power Wagon, will have a 727 if its auto. but it will be married to the 4x4 transfer case. You will need a car 727 or 904 for a small block.

lol Motopsycho your prob right lol. I am having a really hard time finding a v8 904 trans around my area, SO CAL, This 318 is only $200 bucks and looks clean so wanted it, everyone else is asking like 600 to 1500 which is crazy, I just want to think that I can do this transfer for around $500 all together with mounts trans ect.....

lol Motopsycho your prob right lol. I am having a really hard time finding a v8 904 trans around my area, SO CAL, This 318 is only $200 bucks and looks clean so wanted it, everyone else is asking like 600 to 1500 which is crazy, I just want to think that I can do this transfer for around $500 all together with mounts trans ect.....

can u hear it run

I havnt. cant hear it due to it being out of the truck , thats another thing I am concerned about. Getting a bunk motor isnt my wishes. He says it works

I havnt. cant hear it due to it being out of the truck , thats another thing I am concerned about. Getting a bunk motor isnt my wishes. He says it works
Turn it over with a wrench before you buy it just to make sure it's not locked up. I have a transmission for sale down here if you happen to be in the area. 904 or 727....good used or rebuildable cores....which ever you want to use.

i say walk away 318 are not hard to find yet
u still can have the oil pan for free

Yep some guys still gicw the teen away just to get it out of thier shop. I say if it runs,do a comp test (min 100 psi ) and make note of the oil psi. $200 you deserve a top running engine for that.

-
Back