Need help and info to help out my autistic son with his project

-

autistic baracuda

Autistic son josh
Reaction score
My son Josh Wooten is autistic but high function he was given a 440 to build for himself and he bought a rough 66 barracuda to put it in anyways he was told it can't be done and there's no headers that will work for that car with a 440 the motor is almost complete a beautiful Daytona yellow with all the aluminum add ons and black oil pan and timing cover anyways all we know is there are motor mounts available but there's so much we need to know so he can do this and we have seen so many pics of 66 barracudas with big blocks and headers but can't seem to find info on who Or where to get a set and also other things like the throttle linkage and so on please if anyone can help me please start a private conversation. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
My son Josh Wooten is autistic but high function he was given a 440 to build for himself and he bought a rough 66 barracuda to put it in anyways he was told it can't be done and there's no headers that will work for that car with a 440 the motor is almost complete a beautiful Daytona yellow with all the aluminum add ons and black oil pan and timing cover anyways all we know is there are motor mounts available but there's so much we need to know so he can do this and we have seen so many pics of 66 barracudas with big blocks and headers but can't seem to find info on who Or where to get a set and also other things like the throttle linkage and so on please if anyone can help me please start a private conversation. thanks
I dont know of anyone that makes motor mounts for a 440 in an early a-body. As for headers, ive never seen those either. sorry I cant help.

A 440 is tough in an A Body. All of the major header manufacturers make sets that will work, but they fit much better with a 383/400.
One low cost option are C Body log manifolds.
Passenger side fits right in, driver side needs to have some of the steering column trimmed away.
Not perfect, but it works and its cheap

Schumacher makes motor mounts for your application, but unfortunately it appears they are currently out of stock. I've attached the link below.

'63-66 A-Body Products

K-frames on your son's car are the same whether /6 or small block, so you only need to purchase engine mounts to convert to a big block.

As I mentioned in your same post in the early A-body section, Proparts are probably as close as you will get with manufactured sets; however, you will have to modify them for use on an early A-body. The reason why you can't find pictures or info on big block headers for early A-bodies is because no manufacturer makes them. You can make them yourself or pay a header shop to make some for you, but they won't be cheap. If putting RBs into early A-bodies was easy, everyone would be doing it.

If the car was a V8 car previously, all you have to do is get a big block throttle bracket, cut off the portion where the cable is clamped to it, get some metal strap, cut it to length, and weld it up high enough where the throttle cable will line up with the carb. If the car was a /6 car, you will have to find a v8 pedal assembly as /6 cars had throttle linkage instead of cables like V8 cars had. The pedal and pedal assembly are different between both applications. You can find them both for sale in the classifieds on here or on ebay.

Last edited:
As far as headers, in my 73 A-body (I realize it isn't as early as yours) I picked up a cheap set of headers and modified them to fit. Torch to heat the metal and hammer it down. I didn't have to do anything with the steering column but I'm not sure how cramped a 66 engine bay is. Just dropping my 2 cents

If the '66 has not been upgraded to big bolt pattern, then no. However, upgrading to big bolt pattern will benefit you later as you will have a lot more options for wheels with 4.5" pattern instead of the 4" that those cars came with stock. If you are trying to keep the price down, you can upgrade the front end to '73 and later A-body big bolt pattern disc brakes and upgrade the rear axle to an 8 3/4 or a 9 3/4 with big bolt pattern. If you want rear disc brakes, you can always purchase an after market kit for the rear axle as well.

If you want to verify which bolt pattern you have, take a tape measure and measure from the outside edge of a lug, skip one of the lugs next to it and measure to the center of the next lug. It will either be 4" or 4.5".

Last edited:
If the '66 has not been upgraded to big bolt pattern, then no. However, upgrading to big bolt pattern will benefit you later as you will have a lot more options for wheels with 4.5" pattern instead of the 4" that those cars came with stock. If you are trying to keep the price down, you can upgrade the front end to '73 and later A-body big bolt pattern disc brakes and upgrade the rear axle to an 8 3/4 or a 9 3/4 with big bolt pattern. If you want rear disc brakes, you can always purchase an after market kit for the rear axle as well.

If you want to verify which bolt pattern you have, take a tape measure and measure from the outside edge of a lug, skip one of the lugs next to it and measure to the center of the next lug. It will either be 4" or 4.5".
The mag wheels I bought are 4.5 there aluminum can they be long gated to fit 4 inch

The mag wheels I bought are 4.5 there aluminum can they be long gated to fit 4 inch

Is it possible, yes, but what you are describing would not be a good idea; it's not as simple as getting out a Dremel tool and having at it. Assuming they are aluminum rims, you would have to have access to a machine shop tooling and be able to precisely elongate the holes. To pay someone to do it would most likely cost more than a new set of rims would cost.

If you really want to run them, your best bet is to upgrade to big bolt pattern as I mentioned earlier. Besides, with a big block, you will want to upgrade the brakes and the stock 7 1/4 rear axle will not stand up to the abuse of a peppy small block, let a lone a big block; it will be like a grenade with the pin already pulled.

Is it possible, yes, but what you are describing would not be a good idea; it's not as simple as getting out a Dremel tool and having at it. Assuming they are aluminum rims, you would have to have access to a machine shop tooling and be able to precisely elongate the holes. To pay someone to do it would most likely cost more than a new set of rims would cost.

If you really want to run them, your best bet is to upgrade to big bolt pattern as I mentioned earlier. Besides, with a big block, you will want to upgrade the brakes and the stock 7 1/4 rear axle will not stand up to the abuse of a peppy small block, let a lone a big block; it will be like a grenade with the pin already pulled.
Lol i know I'll end up eventually replacing the rear diff my son isn't building an race car just doing this to have a good running and sounding car he is autistic but high function he just wants a radical sounding motor it's just a shame the guy who sold him the body should of told Josh every issue he was going to face putting his motor in that body

I see fender well headers for big block later a body cars what would it be so hard to modify to make them work and as for the wheels they make adapters which would move the wheel out over an inch which would make more room for the headers and then eventually be able to do the axle and brake upgrade later when there's money it's not a race car it's a car for my son to build his not racing it it's just to sound good and just to say he did it by the time I find wheels and the only set of exhaust manifolds that will work on the car I will have already spent alot more

I never expected this engine change to be so hard just to even find wheels all I'm trying to do is help out my son with his car I know he's autistic and that he bought the wrong type of car to do this with but it was what he could find and afford now he's so frustrated and about to give up. And he's already got the motor almost done and the trans and now has been working on the body it's not going to take him long to finish that then what's left is interior which isn't that bad in that car I just hate to see him give up he's already done so much and now to find out the wheels are a big issue after we already bought mag wheels 14-7s but with a Dodge 4.5 bolt pattern and now found out they don't fit I don't know any magical ideals that will work but I'm willing to do what I can to help out my kid

Elephant ear mounts are probably your best bet.
You can remove the stock mounts from the K member to gain a little more room.
Something else to think about is room for the transmission.
I'm assuming you'll run a 727, I believe a large portion of the tunnel will have to be removed before the trans. will fit.
He'll then have to fabricate a piece to fill the large hole.
Also wheels that wide will probably not clear the sheetmetal even if adapters aren't used.
Measure carefully before you buy tires! I think I'd just sell them and look for something else.
This would be a challenging swap for an experienced wrench!
Good luck!

Well for an autistic kid I'm proud of him he has allot lined up to drop the motor and trans in then everything came to a halt we bought these wheels and was told they will fit the found out they don't and as for the exhaust well the exhaust manifolds they told us were the only ones that would fit will cost the same as for headers they want big money for those manifolds I'm not sure now where this car is leading us I'll do anything I can for my son so he can get his car together hoping my son doesn't just give up

I've never attempted full fenderwell headers on an early A-body so someone else will have to provide info on that. I've seen members who have had custom sets made for them, but never any that they purchased and then modified.

I posted links below to my header install so far; they are ProParts headers which are being re-manufactured now, but are pricey from the new manufacturer. Please don't believe that I'm saying they aren't worth it; I definitely think they are after having used them on early and late A-bodies, but I can't imagine purchasing them new for something I own. ProParts are a semi-chassis header; in other words, some of the pipes run inside the frame rails and some of the pipes dump into the fenderwells. On the driver side, two pipes go inside and two pipes go outside. On the passenger side, three pipes go inside and 1 pipe goes outside. With these pipes, it is possible to run a 4-speed with a modified bellcrank and also larger tires as not as many pipes are dumping into the fenderwells. To open the pictures in my links, just click on the download icon for them. Unfortunately when I built that thread, it was before the website was upgraded so the pictures do not appear without downloading them. I just used pipe connectors everywhere I cut and rotated a pipe for now until I get around to welding everything in.

65 Barracuda w/500ci 440, Stage VI Max Wedge Port Heads, 4-speed, and 4.10 Posi Dana

65 Barracuda w/500ci 440, Stage VI Max Wedge Port Heads, 4-speed, and 4.10 Posi Dana

I've never attempted full fenderwell headers on an early A-body so someone else will have to provide info on that. I've seen members who have had custom sets made for them, but never any that they purchased and then modified.

I posted links below to my header install so far; they are ProParts headers which are being re-manufactured now, but are pricey from the new manufacturer. Please don't believe that I'm saying they aren't worth it; I definitely think they are after having used them on early and late A-bodies, but I can't imagine purchasing them new for something I own. ProParts are a semi-chassis header; in other words, some of the pipes run inside the frame rails and some of the pipes dump into the fenderwells. On the driver side, two pipes go inside and two pipes go outside. On the passenger side, three pipes go inside and 1 pipe goes outside. With these pipes, it is possible to run a 4-speed with a modified bellcrank and also larger tires as not as many pipes are dumping into the fenderwells. To open the pictures in my links, just click on the download icon for them. Unfortunately when I built that thread, it was before the website was upgraded so the pictures do not appear without downloading them. I just used pipe connectors everywhere I cut and rotated a pipe for now until I get around to welding everything in.

Those would work please give me info and now I'm going crazy because of wheels I just bought him 14 by 7 4.5 bolt pattern for Dodge cars and they won't fit cause lug pattern is 4.0 not 4.5 and so much more issues I just want to help him now it's even more stressful on him

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean no offense but I would try to set your son up for success. Get this car on the road easier. There's lots of quirks with Mopars. Mistakes cost time and $$. So maybe sell the engine and start with a small block. Ask questions here before purchases to help learn from someone elses mistakes.
Best of luck, again I mean no offense.

I mean no offense but I would try to set your son up for success. Get this car on the road easier. There's lots of quirks with Mopars. Mistakes cost time and $$. So maybe sell the engine and start with a small block. Ask questions here before purchases to help learn from someone elses mistakes.
Best of luck, again I mean no offense.
The motors all done and so is the trans and most of the body work we hope to be getting the motor mounts soon but now everything is on hold his dream was to get a two door Dodge older car to put it in and then he came across this barracuda and he was told it can be done so he bought the car now omg what a night mare I don't have issues helping him out with his dream I just wish it wasn't such a challenging one now he's about to give up we have seen so many pics of 66 barracudas with big blocks and running headers but no info on them nothing to help my son out

Maybe the pics of BB barracudas are 383??. Maybe sell/trade the 440 and get a 383.. Possibly cheaper easier quicker in the lomg run.
Sorry I can't be of.help or advice. There are barracuda specific forums if no one here can help.

I know it's tough to hear but as far as an easier swap Big block in B body is a lot more of a bolt in.
Cheap headers are readily available, motor mounts -'72 are reasonably priced, etc.
So I'd keep the car and put in a small block, or sell the car and look for a '62-'72 B body for the 440.
Not to mention your 4.5" bolt circle wheels should fit easily.
'73- B bodies may be cheaper, and easier to find, but motor mounts will cost more unless you start with a big block car.
I've seen '73-'74 satellites for very reasonable prices.
You're getting a ton of good advice here!

Those would work please give me info and now I'm going crazy because of wheels I just bought him 14 by 7 4.5 bolt pattern for Dodge cars and they won't fit cause lug pattern is 4.0 not 4.5 and so much more issues I just want to help him now it's even more stressful on him please call or text me at 5303150947

Bob Mazzolini Racing makes them now. Here is a link, but be warned; like I said, they are a little pricey.

Race Cars | Racing Engines | Performance Transmissions | Rear Axles | Suspensions | Ignition Systems | MoPar Parts

They appear to be in stock. I don't believe that price includes shipping, but it includes a free T-shirt. :thumbsup:

You may want to try a search for ProParts Headers for sale outside of this site; you may get lucky and find a used set for a lot cheaper. I like to use searchtempest.com for a search engine when I'm looking for used stuff that I don't care what the location is. Good luck.

Last edited:
thats a costly project , with your limited budget . mounts are easy , big motor big power , big cooling system , bigger brakes , bigger r/e , trans , driveline , exhaust , ect ...... make a list and follow it like a map , building the budget like the car , one step at a time . don't forget the mile stone that can make the efforts show .

-
Back