Need Help! Car won't turn over

-

Dartalltheway

Reaction score
So my dart was running rich so I changed the float level and changed my spark plugs and now the car won't turn over. The starter works, it just won't catch. At first it turned on then the rpms started to go up from 500 to about 650 then the engine died and it won't turn on. Help please, I have my SAT tomorrow and need it operational. All help appreciated.

Check the basics: spark, fuel, compression (at the right time).

pull the coil lead to the distributor and see if it sparks to the block while cranking the engine. It should spark across a gap of about 1/4"

It's hard say whether it's flooded or starved for fuel.
take-off the air cleaner and look down the carburetor throat. open and close the throttle a few times, you should see the accelerator pump two little squirts of fuel into the intake.

Try that for a beginning troubleshooting.

You said that the rpm went from 500 to 650 , then the engine quit.

sounds like the carb. went Lean and then the fuel quit flowing for whatever reason.

Stuck float???
Give the bowl of the carb. a few taps with the handle of a screwdriver.

So changed the float level higher, screwed in the air/gas ratio screw 1 1/2 turns and messed with the j rod connecting to the back of the carb and now it runs.

Great. Next time try to use precise terms because I was totally confused.
"Starter works" means it turns, so usually the engine will too.
"Won't turn over" means the engine doesn't turn.
At that point, I am thinking "starter turns, engine doesn't", so starter gear must not be moving forward - thus a bad starter.
"won't catch" means maybe above?, but now sounds like you meant "cylinders don't fire".

my68barracuda,
Of course that car won't start. New cars have a fuel pump cut-off for when they literally "turn over".

-
Back