Need help decoding VIN and engine number

-

ajscheid

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking into purchasing a 1974 Dodge Dart Sport 318.
would anyone be able to assist me in decode the VIN and engine number?
VIN: LL29G4B478243
Engine: 5M31809050431

Apparently matching numbers, but I am not sure about the engine.
Is there any way to find out if this has already disc brakes up front?

Also I just realized that this car had a sun roof prior the Restauration which was closed as it caused more trouble than joy.
Can this be confirmed via the vin?

Thanks,
Antonius

Last edited:
The engine is not # matching the last 5 numbers will be the same on engine and vin # the 5th digit of your vin is what the car was born with for a engine the letter g is a 318 v8

The engine is not # matching the last 5 numbers will be the same on engine and vin # the 5th digit of your vin is what the car was born with for a engine the letter g is a 318 v8
Hi, thanks for you reply; so it’s not a matching pair although it is a 318 v8 Engine.
I have researched myself a bit further, the leading 5 of the engine number would indicate year 1975, can that be confirmed? That would be another I dictation that these are not matching.

What you're referencing as the vin 5M31809050431 is not the motor vin.

Hi,

Also I just realized that this car had a sun roof prior the Restauration which was closed as it caused more trouble than joy.

Thanks,
Antonius
As far as disk brakes while you're under the car just look at the front brakes.
You will have to look on the oil pan rail of the motor to find the vin. Look for the "stamped" numbers, not cast numbers 478243
Example:

1689084154933.png

Last edited:
Does the car have a fender tag (on top part of drivers side inner fender) or a build sheet? Either of those would tell you if the car had a sunroof and disc brakes when it left the factory.

The VIN on the dash won’t tell you what options the car had when it left the factory.

I have asked the owner to look for the fender tag but it might have been removed.
The vehicle had originally a sunroof which has been closed; I have received pictures from the restauration confirming the same; also the car has front disc brakes; so might all be legit.

As far as disk brakes while you're under the car just look at the front brakes.
You will have to look on the oil pan rail of the motor to find the vin. Look for the "stamped" numbers, not cast numbers 478243
Example:

View attachment 1716113203
So the engine number I provided initially is the embossed cast number indicated year, plant, date of build etc. It never matches the vin; only the stamped number matches the vin in case of matching numbers.
Makes sense; thanks!
At least now I know where to look.

Hi,

Thanks,
Antonius

Read here...

How to ID a Small Block Engine Block:

Hi,

Thanks,
Antonius
Assuming the car was built like the U.S. versions, it's a 318 car which would have come with front disc brakes. The fender tag or build sheet would give you some option codes. The engine stamping indicates that it's a '75 Mound Road built engine, so, not the original to the car.

-
Back