NEED HELP Engine SOCAL

-

dart65

Reaction score
I have tried to figure it out on my own but realize Iam in over my head. I need to pointed in the right direction for a reputable mecahnic in the LA Calif area who is familiar with mopar small blocks. I have been slowly restoring my 65 dart for the last couple of years but the engine which was rebuilt less than 3 years ago is running super rough/from looks of it a cam or bad/burnt valves. Problem is mechanics that are good and know these old cars are rarre and far between. Does anyone know a good mopar mecahincs here in the LA area.

Thanks for any input

with a little homework and some reference material, there is no reason you cant tear it down and put it back together. if its only a cam change , it is easier than you may think. you can always have someone go through the heads. knowledge is power and a big $$$$ saver. and it wouldnt hurt that you understood how these things work. i would suggest you buckle up and dive right in and learn how to do it yourself. there is enough information here on FABO alone to learn just about anything you need to know.... in this day and age, you could save yourself a ton of money and heartache....my $0.02

If you're willing to drive over to Indio, take it to Brian at IMM Engines. His prices are reasonable, and he won't try to push you to get anything you don't need. He's done quite a few small blocks in the 5-600 HP range, including mine.

73AbodEE is right. There are plenty of 'How to build" books out there. There is an abundance of knowledge on this site. Learn as much as you possibly can and put it to use. At minimum you will know when some one is trying to B.S. you. There is no better feeling when that motor fires and you know you built it. We're all here to help.:coffee2:

I agree with 75AbodEE find yourself a good manual on the motor your working on pick up a gasket set and go to town. As far as the heads go find a good Automotive machinist they can problem shoot heads quicker than most can. I have a rebuilt motor in my 64 Dart and it is jacked up the company shaved the block where the water pump goes so now I can't get a OEM water pump to work right. Oh I guess the moral of the story is either do it yourself slow and steady or don't pick the cheapest people around!

Anyway I wish you the best of luck and I hope you get everything worked out painlessly.

Talk to Restorations By Julius. www.rbyj.com He does small project and maintance too on old Mopars.

He's close to you. I would not drive it very far. You could be damaging things.

What engine do you have in it?
It may be as simple as needing the valves adjusted.

I would agree with the above as far as rebuilding your own engine. If you want to see what others have done, and possibly get advise from people in that area, I would hit Bobs Big boy in Burbank on a friday night and find the mopars guys. They are all down to earth people and most will help. Also good shops are know there as well as the bad.

-
Back