Need Help figuring out what bell housing to get

-

Blackbird

Reaction score
Hey Guys I have a 1970 Valiant with a 360 small block 10.5" clutch. I bought a 833 4speed OD tranny. It's retainer is 5.125". What bell housing do I need to get for this to work? Thanks for what ever info you gods can give me. Also if you have what I need and want to sell it please let me know.

I needed one myself , I found it on ebay , and just purchased a few days back , #3743859 is the one you need for O.D. Tranny ,,mine is going in my duster ,,unsure how an O.D. will perform but its been rebuilt so I hope it good for a street driver 340 , also the O.D. Tranny on mine takes the 26 spline on output shaft for drive shaft yoke instead of the 29/30 SPLINE

When you get the BH, make sure it comes with the little bracket/ fulcrum for the TO fork, and the other one that anchors the Z-bar. If possible, get the matching TO fork with it.

Sounds like you have an over drive unit. That's the bellhousing you need. 5.125 center hole.

I needed one myself , I found it on ebay , and just purchased a few days back , #3743859 is the one you need for O.D. Tranny ,,mine is going in my duster ,,unsure how an O.D. will perform but its been rebuilt so I hope it good for a street driver 340 , also the O.D. Tranny on mine takes the 26 spline on output shaft for drive shaft yoke instead of the 29/30 SPLINE
That overdrive trans will like a rear gear between 3.73 and 4.10.
It's ratios are
3.09-1.67-1.00-.73od
With 3.91s your Road gears are;
12.08-6.53-3.91-2.85
That starter will let you idle a jumpy 340 around fairly slowly, and provides plenty of take-off grunt.
Second Road-gear is a pretty good ripper gear. Mine is 6.82 and is more than I need.
The Final Roadgear will get you about 65=2300; about as low an rpm as you dare go for getting enough cruise-timing. Mine cruises at 2240 with a different combo; and my timing is not quite enough for touring.But is close enough for, " a street driver"
Third gear is, well, third gear. As long as it's there you are good to go, lol.

If you already have something like 3.55s, or better, try them. 3.55s will get you a Second roadgear of 5.93. My 367 did not like that, but maybe your 340 will suffer it.
Anything less than a 5.93Roadgear will seem doggy in a 340 unless you really wind it out in First gear. Lots of Cylinder Pressure will help.
First gear is never a problem with a 3.09 gear in the box.

That overdrive trans will like a rear gear between 3.73 and 4.10.
It's ratios are
3.09-1.67-1.00-.73od
With 3.91s your Road gears are;
12.08-6.53-3.91-2.85
That starter will let you idle a jumpy 340 around fairly slowly, and provides plenty of take-off grunt.
Second Road-gear is a pretty good ripper gear. Mine is 6.82 and is more than I need.
The Final Roadgear will get you about 65=2300; about as low an rpm as you dare go for getting enough cruise-timing. Mine cruises at 2240 with a different combo; and my timing is not quite enough for touring.But is close enough for, " a street driver"
Third gear is, well, third gear. As long as it's there you are good to go, lol.

If you already have something like 3.55s, or better, try them. 3.55s will get you a Second roadgear of 5.93. My 367 did not like that, but maybe your 340 will suffer it.
Anything less than a 5.93Roadgear will seem doggy in a 340 unless you really wind it out in First gear. Lots of Cylinder Pressure will help.
First gear is never a problem with a 3.09 gear in the box.
Yeah ,I have heard this about the O.D. Tranny and other issues , Its going to be street car but the new rear in mine is 3.23 setup , so I might sell this setup and get the non O.D Tranny or trade to a non O.D. Tranny , I have never ran this setup before , my Challenger is 3.55 with non O.D. A833 and love that setup , this will be new to me , as I have little experience with A833 in general , and will not pretend to know much lol

Last edited:
Rear gears are probably cheaper.
I have several years experience with the od box. I didn't like Second gear much, until I installed 4.30 gears and a GVod, then used it as a splitter. Seven gears was a blast for a while but in the end, on the street, seven was about two to many, and having to split gears all the time, just got old.
With a high pressure lo-performance engine, with a broad powerband, I think it would have been ok.
There are several guys here on FABO running the od box behind 340s, and are NOT unhappy.
But IDK if I would try 3.23s. your cruise rpm is likely to be about 65=1900. While comfortable, it won't break any fuel-economy records, with a typical "bit of a cam" . The reason being, that it is impossible, with the stock-type distributor, to satisfy the engine's need for spark advance.

Rear gears are probably cheaper.
I have several years experience with the od box. I didn't like Second gear much, until I installed 4.30 gears and a GVod, then used it as a splitter. Seven gears was a blast for a while but in the end, on the street, seven was about two to many, and having to split gears all the time, just got old.
With a high pressure lo-performance engine, with a broad powerband, I think it would have been ok.
There are several guys here on FABO running the od box behind 340s, and are NOT unhappy.
But IDK if I would try 3.23s. your cruise rpm is likely to be about 65=1900. While comfortable, it won't break any fuel-economy records, with a typical "bit of a cam" . The reason being, that it is impossible, with the stock-type distributor, to satisfy the engine's need for spark advance.
I have a few options at the moment , I can do tranny or different rear , I see Brewers has A833 rebuilt at around $1800 , I have everything else including bell housing for that setup , so I could feasible I sell the O.D. Tranny with its bell housing and cover that cost , the rear is installed in car with new leaf springs , tranny is in the floor so its just a matter of direction , I do appreciate your feedback and still look at others running there setup , haven't made up my mind one way or the other , and no hurry so we will see , thanks

Yeah ,I have heard this about the O.D. Tranny and other issues , Its going to be street car but the new rear in mine is 3.23 setup , so I might sell this setup and get the non O.D Tranny or trade to a non O.D. Tranny , I have never ran this setup before , my Challenger is 3.55 with non O.D. A833 and love that setup , this will be new to me , as I have little experience with A833 in general , and will not pretend to know much lol
I don't think I'd go that far. Although I agree with the 3.91 or 4.10, the factory routinely put 3.23 and 3.55 gears behind the over drive transmissions. With more power than stock, I don't think you'll have a problem with the 3.23s. Optimal? Probably not, but they'll work.

I also have the cast iron OD box. Still can't locate a bell for mine. Without buying new that is. I have 3.91 sure grip in my duster. Long ways from being on the road in that car though. .060 over 318 and speed master heads stock bottom end. We will see when the time comes how the combo is for cruising then I'll decide which direction the car goes after a summer of cruising weather I pull it back apart and back a mild street strip car out of it with a different gearbox. I'm torn reading so many mixed reviews on the OD Bruce Jenner.

-
Back