Need help fixing door lock

-

Countach711

Reaction score
So I tried putting my door lock back on after installing new handles and now it doesn't work. The push button travels about half as far as it did before. I looked inside and can't see what's wrong. It seems like the key lock tumbler only goes in one way, but could I be wrong about that? Does anybody have any ideas of what to look for?

Could be handle issues? What supplier? Did you flip lock 180* to see if handle will work?
Hi 4spdragtop, thanks for the response.
The handle works fine, so the door opens and closes okay, it just will not lock either manually or with the key. I checked which side the stiff wire connector comes down around the handle connector and tried both sides to make sure nothing is binding. I could not get the key insert to install with the channel down, which is the direction I thought I remembered it coming out, it would only go in with it up. I will compare which way the key goes in on the passenger side, and that should tell me which way it does go in for sure. I did vinyl wrap the car and the vinyl goes into the opening. I'll check and see if that is enough of a difference to prevent it from going in the other way, maybe that's it.

The teeth on the key face up. Photos of the linkage connections inside the door, and a year/model might help us guide you.

I'm resurrecting this thread because I think I'm having the same issue. This is on a 69 Dart driver door. The linkage moves but not far enough to actually lock the door. Any ideas?

Manually or with key? Stupid question, but the plastic knob itself isnt hitting the door?(threaded on too much)
Did it ever work properly?
I'm resurrecting this thread because I think I'm having the same issue. This is on a 69 Dart driver door. The linkage moves but not far enough to actually lock the door. Any ideas?

Both key and post. I don't have the knob on it yet. It looks as though the lever on the latch is hitting another tab on the latch body and that doesn't allow it to move far enough to lock.

69 is a one year only latch. Could be mismatched? Or simply seized up.
I know it's a pain, but might have to come out...can u post pics?

It's not seized because everything moves freely and it worked 4 years ago when I started on the car.
I'll get some photos tonight.

Here's a couple pics. It actually looks like it's working correctly but it stubs into the other tab - check out the pics. The photo shown in the door has a magnet pointing at the tabs that butt. The other photos are for the passenger side lock on the bench and seem to be acting the same way. Check out the short video clip of me trying to engage the lock and showing where the two tabs are butting.
Any thoughts?

20231101_201859.jpg

20231101_205023.jpg

20231101_205030.jpg

I would focus on the pass side latch as its out of the car and easier to check. Could be my eyes but in 1st pic is there 2 springs in there or just 1. I only see one on pass side.

That latch is constructed completely different that the driver's side.

Dunno what to say, they should both be same unless the doors are/were different? I discovered the differences between the years when I had a 69 and 67 cuda. Now just the 67, they are 1 year only as well lol.
That latch is constructed completely different that the driver's side.

Figured out the issue. The door latching cam must be completely engaged when the door is closed. That throws the lever that was stopping the lock lever from moving to the locked position. I had to adjust the striker post to move that latching cam far enough. Works perfectly now!

I totally blanked on mentioning that lol. Yep door has to be closed in order to lock it from inside or outside.
Glad you fingered it out.
Figured out the issue. The door latching cam must be completely engaged when the door is closed. That throws the lever that was stopping the lock lever from moving to the locked position. I had to adjust the striker post to move that latching cam far enough. Works perfectly now!

-
Back