Need help identifying unknown electrical component under the dash.

-

Standardissue

Reaction score
Hello, I’m new to working on older cars and this forum. I’m working on my first car, a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport with a 318. I have been having electrical problems and have slowly been checking my voltages and replacing dry rotted components. I came across this relay/diode that has no name or part number on it. I couldn’t tell what it is from wiring diagrams or find it after searching online. It is cylindrical shaped and has yellow and pink wires leading into it, the issue I see is inside one of the tiny wires is broke in half. Thanks in advance for any help.

C0713BF6-7453-4DDF-BBD5-9EDAC438088F.jpeg

4BB741CE-4677-44D1-8E87-99F9BC4ACCF3.jpeg

E548B4FC-7CA0-4048-9216-B9BD57E9F283.jpeg

Hello, I’m new to working on older cars and this forum. I’m working on my first car, a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport with a 318. I have been having electrical problems and have slowly been checking my voltages and replacing dry rotted components. I came across this relay/diode that has no name or part number on it. I couldn’t tell what it is from wiring diagrams or find it after searching online. It is cylindrical shaped and has yellow and pink wires leading into it, the issue I see is inside one of the tiny wires is broke in half. Thanks in advance for any help.

View attachment 1715146019

View attachment 1715146020

View attachment 1715146021
By the look of it i would say its a relay for either turn signal or emergency flashers. I have a 68 dart and thats pretty similar to what mine look like

By the look of it i would say its a relay for either turn signal or emergency flashers. I have a 68 dart and thats pretty similar to what mine look like

That’s what I thought at first also, accept I have also have a two prong unit labeled signal-stat 12v flasher. Are the turn signal unit and hazard flasher separate units?

Yellow wires are usually interior lights, so that may be a delay off.

Also they have the same function and are interchangeable. When i got my dart the right flashers only worked when they felt up to the task. I just pulled the flasher unit out and switched it with the hazard unit and they work great now but my hazards are temperamental now instead of my right turn signal

Also they have the same function and are interchangeable. When i got my dart the right flashers only worked when they felt up to the task. I just pulled the flasher unit out and switched it with the hazard unit and they work great now but my hazards are temperamental now instead of my right turn signal

I swapped both of mine out for the electronic units because I run LED rear lighting and the electronic units don't rely on load to flash.
The electronic units also flash at the same rate all the time instead of how the thermal units slow at idle.

That’s what I thought at first also, accept I have also have a two prong unit labeled signal-stat 12v flasher. Are the turn signal unit and hazard flasher separate units?
I am not sure how much they changed between 68-72 but here is a wiring diagram for my 68 dart for a
I swapped both of mine out for the electronic units because I run LED rear lighting and the electronic units don't rely on load to flash.
The electronic units also flash at the same rate all the time instead of how the thermal units slow at idle.
***Inspiration. Thanks beast!

The is the timer for the ignition key light.

Real simple, open the door, dome lights come on. Close the door, dome lights go off, but the ignition light stays on for a few seconds so you can insert the ignition key.

Part of the "light package" accessory group when the car was ordered new.

The is the timer for the ignition key light.

Real simple, open the door, dome lights come on. Close the door, dome lights go off, but the ignition light stays on for a few seconds so you can insert the ignition key.

Part of the "light package" accessory group when the car was ordered new.

^^THIS. IT is NOT a flasher and they are NOT interchangeable!!

Guys I REALLY get kinda tired "suggesting" this:

Free service manuals

Go to MyMopar and download yourself a FREE factory shop manual. Some of them there----including the 73 manuals------came FROM THE GUYS RIGHT HERE, and no, I don't work there

Also at MyMopar, get yourself one of the aftermarket wiring diagrams, which are sometimes easier to follow but are NOT AS DETAILED AND COMPLETE. I doubt the delay timer is in those

73 is a huge change for A bodies, the diagrams were completely revamped, some to the good, some to the bad. AFTER the pages of wiring schematics, are pages of drawings OF THE CONNECTORS. So you go to that section, match up the shape of the connector and the wire colors, and that will put you down that path. SOME CONNECTORS seem to have been omitted, however.

the AC wiring is in the AC/ heating section

This is from page 8-168...."CI" means "connector, instrument"

delay.jpg

Guys I REALLY get kinda tired "suggesting" this:

Free service manuals

Go to MyMopar and download yourself a FREE factory shop manual. Some of them there----including the 73 manuals------came FROM THE GUYS RIGHT HERE, and no, I don't work there

Also at MyMopar, get yourself one of the aftermarket wiring diagrams, which are sometimes easier to follow but are NOT AS DETAILED AND COMPLETE. I doubt the delay timer is in those

73 is a huge change for A bodies, the diagrams were completely revamped, some to the good, some to the bad. AFTER the pages of wiring schematics, are pages of drawings OF THE CONNECTORS. So you go to that section, match up the shape of the connector and the wire colors, and that will put you down that path. SOME CONNECTORS seem to have been omitted, however.

the AC wiring is in the AC/ heating section

This is from page 8-168...."CI" means "connector, instrument"

View attachment 1715146062

Grab a parts manual and take some time to look at the "Master Tech Service Conference too. There's so much really good info in the FSM and parts books.

Although I have the FSM and books that I need in real paper, I print out wiring diagrams and highlight the circuit runs or print out sections to take into the garage and keep my "paper" versions nice.

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - MyMopar Tools/Reference

Grab a parts manual and take some time to look at the "Master Tech Service Conference too. There's so much really good info in the FSM and parts books.

Although I have the FSM and books that I need in real paper, I print out wiring diagrams and highlight the circuit runs or print out sections to take into the garage and keep my "paper" versions nice.

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - MyMopar Tools/Reference

THIS. If you browse through those, they are scanned as pdf, and some have videos. You can end up right at YouTube and download and save the video

MyMopar. com

-
Back