Need HELP in BAD WAY!

-

airkiller

MOPARS Rule
Reaction score
I am restoring a 74 Duster. I just got the engine running after some issues and during my initial breakin run about 10 minutes after start up, my engine wire harness started to burn down. I had all of the harnesses out during paint and do not know what went wrong, but the fuse link on the red wire from the battrey to the amp meter melted into the bulkhead connector, destroying it an I have some othe issues around the connector behind the right valve cover by the blower motor. It looks like something went wrong there because a wire was melted in the blower ground wire and that is what caused the problem, AT ANY RATE. I need a replacement engine wire harness for a 74 Duster with a 318. CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?

REAL REAL TOUGH

Could be the regulator was not working or miswired, and was causing massive overcharging. Did you notice the battery puking/ bubbling/ smelling?

Other than that, a MASSIVE short. (Could be right in the alternator.)

What I'd do is yank out the harnesses that are affected, and as you go, not "what has been hot." MAKE NOTES Then untape them, looking for which wires have burned to which wires.

Check the ammeter that it has not shorted to something up under the dash

The "ignition run" circuit, which comes from the key, and supplies ignition, choke, alternator field, regulator IGN terminal, and maybe idle solenoid is usually dark blue. IT IS NOT FUSED

You have a shop manual? There's a 72 you can download on this site.

-
Back