Need help - no spark during cranking

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have power on both sides of the coil in the "run" position. ...no power when cranking though.
Traced power back to the large red wire in the picture. ..has power both in run and when cranking. Then it plugs into the blue wire that says fusible link....

Now what?

image000001.jpg

Jeff

Jeff, I don't what you have going there in terms of modifications.
I recall you had another thread going about this but not the details.
The coil should always have power available at the positive terminal if the key is in run (or start).
The negative goes to ground through the points. When the points are closed it may be close to ground voltage. When open, voltage will be similar to the feed side since there's no flow.

All that said. Fusible link is in the battery feed. The red wire that plugs into it is battery feed. That's always hot, no matter what the key position is.
Underneath looks to be a 16 gage blue wire with white tracer. If so, that's ignition and if plugged in, should be at system voltage when the key is in RUN. It goes to the ballast resistor.

In Start, power goes through Ignition 2 wire to the coil side of the ballast resistor. If there's no voltage on that side, then trace back.

Thanks....
I was able to jumper (and quickly remove) from the battery to the positive side of the coil, and it fired right up and ran great...

Still tracing....wonder if it could be the switch?

Jeff

Here's the drawing from before.

The orange lines in the start switch illustrate the connection during start.
The orange arrows represent flow.
upload_2019-1-5_21-21-35-png.png

Flowing electrons is current. Flow only happens when a circuit has a return path.
Voltage is potential to flow, but its not flow.

Lets look at this diagram again, but with the key off.
Using a voltmeter, measure from the battery positive to ground. It should be around 12.5 Volts.
upload_2019-1-11_18-0-58.png

If you move the red probe to any point along the wires connected to Battery positive, the voltage should be the same.
For example, the alternator feed will be 12.5 V at the bulkhead and at the alternator's output stud, labelled BATT.
So will the ammeter connections. But there is no current flowing through it , so it shows 0 amps.

Lets go again to key in Start, the situation you need to diagnose.
The connections made in the start position should provide battery power through circuit S (and we know it does because the relary closes and starter gets power)
and it should provide battery power to the J2B and J3 ignition wires to the coil.

I'm showing only 12 Voltsin the diagram because a starter will often draw down the battery voltage. You may find its 11 somthing. But it should be the same everywhere until it goes through some equipment like the relay, or a bad connection.
upload_2019-1-11_18-20-22.png

If there's no voltage at the ballast connection of J2B and J3 during Start, trace back to the ignition switch until you find voltage.
To save battery power while tracing this, disconnect S2 at the relay.

upload_2019-1-11_18-28-53.png

Thank you!
Getting dark and slightly frustrated. ... (lol...I hate wiring! )
I'll sleep on it and get after it again in the morning. ....

It's gotta be something simple. ....dang it!

Jeff

Not sure what set up you have as far as distributors go, but I had a similar situation. I had a Mallory unilite optical distributor. Are you running something similar or a stock distributor

Not sure what set up you have as far as distributors go, but I had a similar situation. I had a Mallory unilite optical distributor. Are you running something similar or a stock distributor
It's a new "ready to run" electronic unit...tried another but same issue.

Jeff

Previously mentioned about points, you have a points system or electronic ignition? If points, do they have the right gap? Is the system properly grounded? If electronic, is the ECU or "box" good?

-
Back