need help, no turn signals.

-

gibson_es

Reaction score
Turn signals not on, front or back. I took the old bulb out of the driver rear side and turned the left blinker on, took a test light and tested the two wires. One has power, the other does not, I'm guessing this is a ground? Or is the bulb grounded by the body, and both wires are power? This is what I initially thought, as this is a two stage bulb... The signal flashed looks pretty new, I know nothing about them, but when clamped my test light on it, touched the light to power and grounded the flasher, the test light Came on steady....

The bulbs are grounded through the shells to the body. Make sure this is "so."

One wire going to the bulb lights a smaller filament, and is the more dim, tail lamp

The other wire lights a larger filament and is the stop/ tail

The stop light switch feeds into the steering column turn switch. The switch routes the stop light signal to BOTH lamps if the switch is centered, but disconnects the stop signal to allow whichever turn is selected to operate

I don't understand what you did with the flasher..........

One way to check is to temporarily bypass the flasher. Make a jumper wire that will plug into the flasher connector. Now when you select left/ right turn, the bulbs on that side should be on steady, and you can check that the opposite lamp comes on when you hit the brake, showing both stop and turn switches are good.

Then it's a matter of getting a good flasher.

Thanks, after reading your post I bypassed the flasher, checked and still nothing. When I turned the lights on, that part of the bulb worked. So the black wire that my test light stated was working must be the softer tail light you were referring to...

And its a 1966 dodge dart. Sorry. I thought I posted it... But obviously not. Lol.

-
Back