Need help picking power plant.

-

slimjim

Reaction score
Hello, My name is Jeremy. Im a midshipman at the California Maritime Academy in Vallejo, CA. I've wanted a Barracuda for as long as I can remember. A 1969 Barracuda was passed down within my family until my father sold it once I was born (I am almost 19). I finally found another barracuda for sale in the area so i jumpped on it. I now have a 1968 Barracuda fastback with a 318/904 combo. I also have the 8 3/4 rear end. So heres my problem. Like any mopar fan... I want power. With all of my friends owning hondas,subarus, and evos I want to be able to shut them up. I use to have a 78 camaro that i built in autoshop during high school that use to do the trick but I sold it when i first started at the academy. So my big question is... which combo should I install that will give me reliablity/Power/...aanndd fuel economy(just kidding about mpg). Im awarded 4k each semester from the navy that I can put into the car. SOOOOO...twin turbo 318? 408 stroker? 360? 440? im totally lost on which I should do. I want about 400 rwhp. Any advice would be great thanks. Oh and should I keep the 904 or find a 727? thats all i promise haha

400 rwhp is about 500 hp at the crank if I have the math right. You are definately looking for at least a 408 stroker. I have a 67 Cuda that is making well over 500hp but I used a roller cammed Aluminum head 440 to do it. I would ask around. It can be done with a small block but your talking big money.

Well how difficult would it be to install a 440 in a 68 barracuda? I know its been done but anything a college student can do?

And what about Nitrous? I dont plan on taking this car to the strip that often. Maybe once or twice a year. If those honda guys are throwin down 300's and 400's to the wheels then why couldnt a small block? Oh and did the 318 still use the forged crank in 1968?

Sounds like a plan to kick those ricers ***!!! With 500hp I would say go with the 727. If you go big block (which really isn't that hard anymore to do) than thats the only trans you can use (the 904 won't bolt to a BB). I'd say a good engine combo would be a 400 based 451 stroker motor. Its a cheap and easy build using a stock 440 crank and rods with aftermarket pistons. Then top it of with aluminum heads & intake. Have fun, you found the right place to hang out and ask questions & learn. Now go beat on those ricers :blackeye::toothy7:
(also don't forget those chebbies & ferds :yawinkle:)

How about a new Hemi that can easily pump out well over 500hp when done that or go for a late 80s early 90s pre mag roller block (still an LA block) or a 5.9 magnum motor

Would a 451 stroker be reliable enough to be a daily driver? has anyone ever installed this engine in a 67-69 barracuda? any dyno results?

Welcome to the site. What kind of driving you going to be doing with the car? Street, daily driver, race, street strip?

Well It would be a street strip car. Righ now the rear end is a 3.23 sure grip. Is this rear end ok?

Had a '69 Dart with a 3.23 rear behind a 440/auto and it didn't have any problems showing the tail lights to most anything on the road. If 500 horses is your goal, you really don't need to go bigger than a 383. That power level would be a handful on the street though. I would choose the 451 stroker because it would be a little more street friendly. I would stick with a low deck B engine for fenderwell, header, and firewall clearance. Durability would not be an issue. You really haven't lived until you've nailed the throttle on a big block A body.

Ya thats a good rear. Is it a sure Grip? A BB will make that power you want and be a little more streetable. Would be the way I would go any way. Would need a 727 trans for that. Don't think they make a 904 with a BB bell on it.

Are there any opinions about a turbo build? It seems like the honda guys have tapped into that technology in order to get their 4 bangers pushing high numbers; how hard would it be to build a turbocharged mopar? Is blow thru reliable? if not how hard would it be to install efi?

What about a roots type blower? just throwin out ideas. Im addicted to that fear factor haha

-
Back