Need help pulleys on AC 340

-

Majestic

Reaction score
I just installed a 70 340 in my 67 barracuda. I installed a compressor with brackets off another 340 engine. I can't figure out any pulleys that will line up or not for sure about the belt configuration. I have two grooves on my AC and alt. Will I need two belts for this to work and another belt for the power steering? Anybody have pics?

Over the years "this stuff changed" and certainly there are major differences between 67 and 70

"Do you know" if everything on the engine "matches" and do you know if all the parts you have for the AC are supposed to match THAT?

EG early water pump or late water pump setup in your 67?

three grooves on the crank
the inner two will rum the AC and alternator
the outer one runs the water and powersteering pump, which means you will need a shallow water pump pulley

I can get you belt numbers tomorrow (getting late)

keep in mind that when using an AC setup the alternator brackets are different (tying into the head to support the weight of the compressor)

Thanks for the pics. This helps me out. I can't seem to find pulleys anywhere. I've tried a few but none seem to work. I measured from the face of where the crank pulley mounts to the center of the AC groove next to the engine and came up with 1.125. The AC pulley grooves are .5625 center to center. The water pump where it mounts to the crank mount is 4.125 The face of water pump pulley mount to Ac groove next to engine is 3.000 Any ideas where I can find these?

I'm sure several members here can hook you up
shoot whitepunkonnitro a PM, I bet he's got a matched set he wouldn't mind parting with

I tried some pulleys that came off a dart with AC and they didn't work. They looked like the same setup but crank pulley was off.

What's your set-up? Post some pictures...

You're trying to mix and match new and old...

the 67 used the cast iron water pump and had timing marks on the pass side.

70 and later used an aluminum water pump and timing marks on the driver's side.

70 and later used a double pulley for the a/c, alt, and fan.

67 used a single belt/pulley for the a/c and had an idler pulley to tighten the belt.

You haven't given us enough information on what you have to help you get it figured out. ---> Post some pictures....

:worthles:

I have a balancer that has for use with a 340 cast crank only. Someone suggested I might have a 73 balancer. Im not sure I just know every pulley I have bought doesn't work. It is getting expensive

-
Back