Need help removing shifter knob on 71 Duster

-

tleroy

Reaction score
Hello,

I cannot remover the shifter knob from my 71 Duster console shifter. I'm trying to remove the console to install new carpet. Can anyone help?. I've been told the black button at the top screws off, but it just turns. When I removed the small screw, the whole knob moves up and down. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Hello,

I cannot remover the shifter knob from my 71 Duster console shifter. I'm trying to remove the console to install new carpet. Can anyone help?. I've been told the black button at the top screws off, but it just turns. When I removed the small screw, the whole knob moves up and down. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

There should be a small allen screw on the side of the shifter, after it is out it should pop right off, because it is spring loaded.

Loosen the allen screw. Hold the button and knob together while turning them counterclockwise. The threads are in the button. :cheers:

The knob just turns. Won't come off. I can pull it up about a half a inch, but won't release. Doesn't feel like button has threads, it turns too freely.

Push the black button down flush with the shift knob and turn them both together while holding them down......

The black button has a slot that needs to be lined up w/ the slot in the knob for this to work.

I've tried that approach and the knob will slide up the shifter shaft about 3/4 of a inch, but won't come off. I'm trying not to break it.

Give me a few minutes. I will take a picture for you that may help.

The bottom piece is the shift cable. It has threads on the end (right side in the picture). The black button is held on by these threads only.

Cable.jpg

I was having a problem with that as well but followed your directions here and it worked like a charm. Pushed down on black button turned it a little untill I felt it line up and it screwed right off.

DSC00001 (Custom).JPG

Thanks guys. The pictures really help. I'll give it another try when I get home from work.

Is is possible for the cable to turn in the shifter shaft?

Hey guys it didn't work. I think the cable is turning or something. I can get the knob to slide up, but it will not come off. I've all but yaked it. I can hear something turning that I thought was the spring when turning the knob. I will post a picture after I charge the battery for my camera.
Thanks,

The black cap is probably not lining up, there might be crud keeping it from going down all the way into the handle.
Here are some more pics of the keyd notch.

DSC00002 (Custom).JPG

DSC00003 (Custom).JPG

DSC00004 (Custom).JPG

Did the shifter work okay before? If it did, the cable must still be attached.

If you have to break something, the black plastic button would be my choice. Pretty easy to find one of those versus trying to find the cable. Sorry you're having so much trouble.

I can feel the button catching and the knob seems to be releasing to a certain point. Take a look at the pictures

MVC-183F.JPG

MVC-184F.JPG

MVC-185F.JPG

Homecloned and 6pk2goDemon,

Thanks for taking the time to take pictures and answer my questions.
Tony

Are you pushing down while turning at the same time? Also, there are quite a few threads......will take a bunch of turns to get it off.

Yes, I pushing and hold the button down while turning. It turn freely, so it feels like it should come off.

Ok, let's try it this way.....Any chance you can push the woodgrain knob down while pulling up on the button to expose the cable. If you can do that, grab the cable w/ needle nose pliers or vise grips to hold the cable and then try turning the button counterclockwise.
This is not rocket science here....We'll get it. :cheers: Patience and many breaks when you're frustrated...LOL

Homecloned those are the biggest hands I have ever seen no wander your shifter knob is so big. It looks like a wooden apple.

I've taken the shifter out of the car. I'm positive that the cable is turning with the knob. I don't see any place that I can grab the cable. I have noticed a weld at the bottom of the shifter shaft where it has been replaced in the past. Maybe it was damaged and this is the reason I cannot get it apart.

I've taken the shifter out of the car. I'm positive that the cable is turning with the knob. I don't see any place that I can grab the cable. I have noticed a weld at the bottom of the shifter shaft where it has been replaced in the past. Maybe it was damaged and this is the reason I cannot get it apart.

At this point, break the black button, without hurting the cable. PM me your address....I'll send ya one if you will contribute any parts or any $$ to the threads presently going for a member in need. :cheers: Your prayers are gladly accepted also.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=72576

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=72910

The buttons are available on ebay all the time.

Any luck with it?

In ended up just breaking the button because the cable was turn inside the shaft when I turned the knob. 6pk2goDemon is giving me a button to replace my broken one. Isn't that great! Thanks a million for your help.
Tony

-
Back