Need help removing somethings

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
How do I take out the stock heater core, radio and heater controls out? I dont need these as they dont work and i dont need a radio in this car

Are you asking how to literally remove them, or just what you need to do to by-pass and do without them?

I would take them out in this order: heater-A/C unit, radio, heater control

If you permanently remove the heater core, will you want to reinstall the heater box so you still have a fan? Of course, you will no longer have defrost for the windshield (maybe you don't need it where you live).

my deforst doesnt work anyways, I dont have AC all i have is a Fan... Im in Ca i dont drive in the rain or when its really cold. And yes completely taking them out

first look and see if there are nuts/studs in the engine bay around the heater motor,, on my early A there are 4 nuts on studs thru the fire wall holding the blower motor to the fire wall,,then there is a rod that looks like a J hook going from the bottom of the fresh air box you know the big door you open for fresh air,,,,that rod goes up in to the cowl area acts like a hook holding that end of the heater box up,,

so first disconnect the cables from your dash,,or disconect the hole cable assembly then do the wires to the blower motor,,mark them some day you may want to reinstall it all again,,,

then disconect all your heater hoses frok the fire wall and engine,,,unbolt the J hook rod from bottom of fresh air box,, it should fal out,,maybe some anti freeze in it becareful

Wow, that's a tall order...there are quite a few little special details that are difficult to explain with a keyboard, but I'll try.

Are we talking about a '74 Duster or Dart Sport? We have both.

First thing is remove the glove box liner. You'll thank me later.

You gain valuable access to much of what you need to remove under the dash.
Your '74 Duster won't have the "J" hook or fresh air door that fstfish66 mentioned. Right behind the glove box, it does have a bent-metal support strap on top of the heater housing and attached under the dash to a stud.
You also have to get up under the dash to remove the flex hoses running up to the defrost vents.

Before you disconnect and drop the heater housing, remove all of the vacuum lines and control cable (if equipped). I assume you also have the air diffuser. That's the piece hanging under the lower edge of the dash that you bust your knee on. Remove it, too.

Move on to the engine bay side and disconnect the wiring harness to the blower fan. Remove the rubber vent hose and three nuts holding the fan and pull it out. Disconnect the two heater hoses at the firewall (probably should drain coolant first). Remove the plate that surrounds the heater core copper tubes. Remove the remaining nuts securing the heater housing.

Go back under the dash and pull the housing straight back so the heater core tubing and mounting studs all clear the firewall. The tricky part is trying to find the right downward and sweeping motion that lets the housing drop down into the passenger floor. I'm not sure about a non-A/C car, but do you have a rubber drain hose coming through the firewall right about where the brake line bends downward on the passenger side?

That should get you started. I probably forgot something, but most likely you will be able to figure it out. If not, give us a shout.

Here is what you do if you want to take out your heater but want to keep your vent box on the pass side.

DartVentBox.jpg

...keep your vent box on the pass side.
I'm not familiar with non-A/C cars - all of mine have had it.
On a '74, is there a separate fresh air vent box like this one shown? If not, the fresh air hole in the floor of the cowl will have to be sealed up VERY WELL to prevent significant leaks (just like the big hole in the firewall shown here for the fan).

I'm not familiar with non-A/C cars - all of mine have had it.
On a '74, is there a separate fresh air vent box like this one shown? If not, the fresh air hole in the floor of the cowl will have to be sealed up VERY WELL to prevent significant leaks (just like the big hole in the firewall shown here for the fan).

Yes non A/C boxes have this part molded on to the heater part. I just cut it loos from the heater box then cut out a flat peace from the heater box and glued it on there with some caulking to fill the hole in the side.

same thing im doing,, cant find a non heater fresh air box so im making my own out of a junk heater

-
Back