need help selecting PS system

-

wlecat

Reaction score
I have a 1967 Barracuda with a 1969 340 engine and K frame.
I need to add power steering, and would like to add an adjustable steering column.
Looking in the catalogs and online, it seems there are different brands of PS pumps.
Does it matter, which pump? I also have no idea which brackets and pulley to get.
Anyone done this, any recommendations?

I have a 67 Barracuda, I don't think the P/S pump is going to make much difference. Get the set up off any SB a body and spend your time and money on a good steering box. I'm using a steer & Gear extra firm, Firm Feel is another rebuilder. Both turn out a good product. Make sure the front end is in good shape and aligned, you'll need a different steering column. There is a length difference between power steering and manual steering. I have had trouble finding the high pressure hose, the only ones available are universal ones. Good luck!

wasn't sure if a cardone rebuilt PS steering box would be ok?

I have a 69 340 and this is what I found (see more on my build thread)
-----
Getting there...

We reviewed a few threads that went into this in great detail on pump/pulley/bracket combos and we were glad that we weren't the only folks having trouble figuring out the combos.

I think we have the bracket puzzle almost figured out. We decided to stay with the Saginaw P/S pump since most agree that it is the best performing unit but needed to figure out which brackets to use with the 69 cast iron water pump on the 340.

Wait,... there are two styles of Saginaw pumps?? Surely you can't be serious... I am serious, and don't call me Shirley. Well we now have two Saginaw pumps to choose from. One is referred to as the oval neck unit and as I understand it was used from 69-72 and the other is referred to as the box style unit and t was used from 69 - 74.

Does anyone know if both units perform equally?
If one unit is better than the other which one is it?

Here are the two Saginaw pumps for review:

---

AlV

mine has a long nose aluminum hi-vol pump with a deep aluminum double pulley.
so in the end which did you decide on?

In the last pictures you can see that I had to use the earlier brackets on my 69 water pump. Either of the Saginaw pumps can be used with either bracket setup (They are interchangeable from that perspective).

I used the 69 Stock Crank/water pump/steering pump pulleys (all three can be seen in the photos.)

Post a picture of your engine and water pump to help us get oriented with your car.

Go all the way with my Borgeson kit and a Saginaw pump. Not cheap, but light years ahead of the old dinosaur boxes.

-
Back