Need help sorting out a hacked Torque Shaft bracket

-

AlV

Crabs in a barrel
Reaction score
Hi FABO,
My son and I are pulling the engine and transmission out of our 69 Dart GTS and we've noticed that someone along the way has hacked the torque shaft bracket on the console gearshift linkage. I've reviewed the 1969 Service manual and don't see a clear picture of how the bracket is supposed to be mounted.

On my car the torque shaft bracket is welded to the transmission cross member mount (see pictures). I'd like to know (possibly see a picture if possible) how the bracket is supposed to be mounted so I can correct it.

Thanks for helping!
AlV

Attachments

• tourque shaft bracket hack (1).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 217
  • tourque shaft bracket hack (2).jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 213
Factory bracket had 2 studs at the rear of it that went into 2 small loops that are cast into the bottom of the transmission tail housing below the speedo gear area.

Someone may have replaced the trans with a later unit that does not have the loops.
(loops were dropped on later units, you will need a early tail housing and a new bracket to correct if the loops are missing)

Lon

Thanks! That's great to hear (and thanks for the link).

The upside is that I have the original HD trans (#'s match) for the car on my bench getting ready for overhaul (I've yet to decide on a master rebuild kit) so tail shaft shouldn't be problem I just need to buy the bracket. The transmission I'm taking supposedly came from a late 80's diplomat cruiser.

I Decoded the stamp on the transmission PK 4431552 9988 8395:

PK = Kokomo Plant
4431552 = Chrysler part number for a 727 transmission.
9988 = production date 12/11/88
8395 = sequence number.

Rebuilding my original transmission is going to be my personal first rebuild. It should be exciting. wish me luck.
lol

-
Back