need help... what would you use here

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to change the color of the dash from the brown it came with to black because I have changed the interior from beige to black. Back in the day what did the factory use for the black dash. Was it a flat black, satin black or a semi-gloss. I am thinking a semi gloss but the more I think of it I am thinking that semi gloss will be too shiny. Maybe a flat black here. I am talking about from the dash bezels down. I will have the wood grain overlay across the middle. The steering column looks flat. can you guys help me out here and maybe show some pics of your black dash because I only want to do this once. I an going to dye the dash pad satin black with SEM brand. It will eventually go car color when its restored but for now, he wants black. Thanks,Bill

I just did my dash in flat, painted the pad with Duplicolor flat black vinyl paint and installed new bezels.

Attachments

• dash after.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 171
i just did mine with a 3.99 can of rustolieum satin black

Attachments

• fp25.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 183
  • fp32.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 166
wow, they both look great. did you have to take the dash pad out to get behind the pad and the area where the vents are.

wow, they both look great. did you have to take the dash pad out to get behind the pad and the area where the vents are.

I removed the pad and bezels and masked the windshield off with some thin cardboard cut to fit the bend of the lower edge of the glass and painted it.

This is what I started with.

Attachments

• dash before.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 176
I had a wild idea of useing a sponge to get in the tight areas that the spray wouldnt get and then spray that area with a can. masking off the windshield and the dash parts. This would be a quick fix for a driver until we resto it. The dash pad will be recovered and the dash will eventually be taken out and sprayed detonator Yellow to match the car but I hate to have a black interior and just the piece where the vents are brown. I dont want to have to take the dash pad out right now. What color was from the factory, flat or satin. do you know. I like both now that I have seen them.

before i painted mine , it was more of a flat black, but it was 40 year old paint. i think Bruces is more correct than mine is.

If it's only a temp thing you could cut a thin piece of black carpet to fit and lay in between the dash pad and windshield. That's what I did for a bit, it looked pretty good.

www.totallyautoinc.com
This place has the exact formulas from Mopar in spary cans and they look great. Go to their parts section and you can find the paints in there. If you dont see something call them. I have used them and everytime I get an exact match.

Thanks Adam,I have been using the SEM 15243 satin black for the interior but didnt know what to do with the dash.

-
Back