Need help wiring in dash reverse indicator light

-

duster360

Reaction score
My 67 Dart didn't come with the dash reverse indicator light. I am going to install one. I have all the wiring and need some guidance as to where to hook it up. Coming from the switch on the transmission ( 2 prong ), the harness runs up to the bulkhead connector block. There are 3 blades on the harness that plug into the block. Where do I plug these into the block and where does the plug for the dash mounted reverse indicator light hook into the bulkhead connector on the inside?

This is an automatic car converted to stick, or what?

"3 blades?" Where? Plug into what? block?

It sounds to me like you might have a harness for a 68 or 69 or later automatic, IE three round pins. Four speeds have two flat blades

Electrically this lamp runs from the backup lamps line to ground. The backup lights wire runs through the tail harness connector in the left kick panel

Do you have? a factory shop manual?

Download one at MyMopar for free

I wired mine into the wiring harness from the rear lites behind the left kick panel. Check which one is live for the reverse lites and tap into it.

This is an automatic car converted to stick, or what?

"3 blades?" Where? Plug into what? block?

It sounds to me like you might have a harness for a 68 or 69 or later automatic, IE three round pins. Four speeds have two flat blades

Electrically this lamp runs from the backup lamps line to ground. The backup lights wire runs through the tail harness connector in the left kick panel

Do you have? a factory shop manual?

Download one at MyMopar for free

Yes, going from auto to 4 speed. The 4 speed has the 2 blade switch. The other end of the harness has 3 flat blades that plug into the bulkhead block. There are 2 wires but one of them has a short jumper spliced into it. Yes it is the later 68-69 harness.

Here is a picture of the connector from the trans switch to the bulkhead connector.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 452
The short wire that is spliced in, hooks to the light itself. Just not sure about the other two.

From what I can tell on the diagram the 2 connectors from the trans switch go to C and D on the bulkhead connector on the '69 models. My car however is a '67 and those connectors would be H and F.

I could be wrong, I don't think 67 had a reverse light. That might explain the difference. Is there any other blank terminals in the bulkhead?

F & H are the connections in 67, F is the backup lamps, goes to pin 4 of the kick panel connector on the way to the rear.

'67 didn't have the light. I will look at the block gain shortly and see what I can come up with. I do remember some blank spaces just not sure which they were.

Here is pic of open terminals. The one to the far left is full. The middle one pictured has one open at bottom right. Then the third which is where the wiper motor only is connected.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 311
If everything else is wired, it really doesn't matter, other than documentation. You could also cut off the second wire from the underhood harness, and tap into the backup light feed in under the dash.

pntastar69 mentioned something like that also. I will keep that in mind.

My 67 Barracuda has the same system. One single wire goes to the ignition switch or could also go to the wiper switch and the one that have the splice, goes the rear lights harness and to the starter relay (only if it has the clutch safety neutral switch). The one that go to the ignition/wiper switch will give "juice" to it, so when you go to reverse gear, the internals will "connect" both ends and will complete the circuit and will turn the backup lights "on" and the internal light also. You will not use the one going to the relay, unless you have the "safety neutral switch" in your clutch pedal.

My 67 Barracuda has the same system. One single wire goes to the ignition switch or could also go to the wiper switch and the one that have the splice, goes the rear lights harness and to the starter relay (only if it has the clutch safety neutral switch). The one that go to the ignition/wiper switch will give "juice" to it, so when you go to reverse gear, the internals will "connect" both ends and will complete the circuit and will turn the backup lights "on" and the internal light also. You will not use the one going to the relay, unless you have the "safety neutral switch" in your clutch pedal.

Good info. Thanks.

-
Back