Need help wiring Push Button start 70 dart

-

greengodart70

Reaction score
im havin issues with wiring up a push button start in my 70 Dodge Dart with the slant 6, id like to wire it up to where you have to have the key to actually turn on the ignition and then push the button to start the car.... but i cant quite figure out how to do it. Can anyone help me with this , possibly a diagram showing what i need to do
Thanks in advance =D

I dont have a diagram but you would just use the starter wires on the back of the keyed switch, Identify those wires with a test light and hook them up to the new momentary push button switch........actually pretty easy to do. One of those wires should be constant hot and the other wire is triggered hot to the starter when you hold the key over to start. Your key will need to be in the run position to activate the ignition and then push the switch, should fire it off.

Of course solder your connections if possible and use shrink tube to make it clean.....Dont leave any bare wires to short out on anything.

Hope this helps

yup it worked i picked up a repair manual and checked what wires do what, and took your advice and it worked =D i took out the cigarette lighter and put my button in the hole so its pretty much hidden unless you open the ashtray lol.........Many thanks for the help!

Right on Cool........Sounds like you did a very clean job!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the Idea of the Cigarette lighter........very nice!!!!

I bet there is a way to use a cig lighter as a pushbutton switch..... :) That would be super stealthy.

Why not a pushbutton at the bottom of the cig lighter, activated by a dummy lighter, with the run/acc controlled by a reed switch activated by a magnet in the body of that dummy lighter. Stealth...that's the key.

An easier way would be to bend out the fingers that hold the lighter in so it pushes in and out easily but doesn't grab the lighter. Keep in mind the fingers still have to make contact. Then pull the heating coil out the lighter and just solder a 14 gauge wire in it's place.

Presto! You now have a pushbutton grounding switch! If I grounding switch is not what is needed a simple 6 dollar relay wired in will fit the bill. :)

Just digging around on ebay and found this
http://tinyurl.com/mtbzq3

it's programmable, small, and if you wire it up right, you can eliminate the key switch, and just have the keypad(which looks small enough to hide, six digit coding means you'll have over 15,000 possible codes. You just mount the keypad someplace out of sight, or in sight, it's not a bad-looking piece, and you're keyless :). Use this switch with a relay to control switching from "OFF" to "RUN", and have a pushbutton for the starter.

-
Back