Need help with 73 340 pics

-

Durney

Reaction score
Looking for some pics of known original or correct restoration 1973 340's (particularly engines and compartments). Seems the a-bodies unfortunately aren't given the same focus and subsequent reference as some of the other "bodies". Anyone have any good reference pics or data? Thanks in advance!

Looking for some pics of known original or correct restoration 1973 340's (particularly engines and compartments). Seems the a-bodies unfortunately aren't given the same focus and subsequent reference as some of the other "bodies". Anyone have any good reference pics or data? Thanks in advance!

This is a well preserved survivor original owner 73 340 Duster I took pictures of and posted on another site.

True untouched survivors are the best reference.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...&Words=73++340&topic=&Search=true#Post8141683

8141683-MoparsInMay13Sm041.JPG

8141684-MoparsInMay13Sm038.JPG

8141686-MoparsInMay13Sm047.JPG

Ignore the black rustproofing on the top of the fender bolt to inner fender area. That was Ziebarted after manufacture.

8141696-MoparsInMay13Sm049.JPG

8141691-MoparsInMay13Sm054.JPG

Bypass hose has been replaced. Note engine overspray on exhaust manifold. Note water pump bolt on A/C bracket and P/S was painted blue with motor then removed and reinstalled when bracket's added to motor.

8141694-MoparsInMay13Sm051.JPG

Note idle solenoid. Not sure wire loom is factory. Wires replace with 2010 made wires.

8141700-MoparsInMay13Sm063.JPG

8141701-MoparsInMay13Sm064.JPG

8141702-MoparsInMay13Sm065.JPG

8141704-MoparsInMay13Sm066.JPG

Those pics are immensely helpful and survivors like that are the best reference. Thank you. Some questions, idle solenoid was for ac cars only I assume. I have now seen pics of the plug wire separators natural(off white) and painted blue on supposed originals? Were there known differences in the two assembly plants? Lastly, how much of the body was color painted (ie underside, trunk area, wheelwells etc)?

Those pics are immensely helpful and survivors like that are the best reference. Thank you. Some questions, idle solenoid was for ac cars only I assume. I have now seen pics of the plug wire separators natural(off white) and painted blue on supposed originals? Were there known differences in the two assembly plants? Lastly, how much of the body was color painted (ie underside, trunk area, wheelwells etc)?

Not sure about solinoid applications in '73. Factors can sometimes be a/c, man vs auto trans, and calif emmissions. Don't make assumptions. The factory repair manual might be helpful if you don't have any other references.

In some years the wire seperatators have been found painted and not painted. This car they are painted. Have you seen survior 73 small blocks non painted?

Cars were painted and dipped in various treatments and primers before final paint. At A-body. At abody plants other than Los Angeles, the underside of the body shell was light to med grey primer. The the car was painted all body color except underside but the underside will have overspray coming in from the sides from the paint gun spraying the rocker panel area. Trunk was painted but sorta inconsitant with area light and with overspray. Engine compartment paint seems heavier coverage.

After that the gas tank and fuel lines and brake line were added. Then non undercoating optioned/packaged cars got spot areas of undercoating in front and rear wheel wells. Full undercoating cars got undercoating about everywhere.

LA plant cars got blackish primer on the underside. And they seem not to get or get very little front wheel well undercoating.

-
Back