Need help with a Chebby

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
Ok,I have a 74 Impala,400 SB 2 barrel ,and Im putting a new timing chain in it so I can sell it,but Im confused about something.
I have the engine at top dead center and the dot on the crank sprocket is on the 12 o clock position,and the cam (big) sprocket is supposed to have a dot on the 6 o clock position ,but my problem is ,there is no dot on the cam sprocket,just the mark you see on it,but no dot.The car lost alot of power and the chain has ALOT of slack,so im wondering if it skipped a few teeth,any help would be great because since theres no dot on the cam sprocket.Shouldnt the cam sprocket mark be on the 6 o clock position and aligned wih the crack sprocket dot?
you can see in the pics how loose and how much slack the chain has.

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

Its just a uglee version of a mopar...where it is at 12 o clock and 12 o clock is where you install the distributor with the rotor pointing to #1 cylinder then she's ready to run...but that chain and gears needs to hit the garbage can

X 2 with the garbage can. go to the parts store and pick up a trw or mellings timing chain kit for 60 bucks. if your not sure about TDC, both valves should be closed when the piston is @ TDC. on the comp stroke. then R&R the chain with marks at 12 & 6. the firing order is the same as mopar but i'm sure you figured that out already. good luck

OK HERE IS THE DEAL

The raised mark is indeed "the mark" you seek

MOST V8's whether Mopar, GM, or what, specify "in the book" that you line up "the marks" on the sprockets.

WHEN YOU DO THIS with the marks at 6 o'clock on the top sprocket, and 12 o'clock on the bottom, THE ENGINE IS READY TO FIRE on no6, not no1. The picture you posted makes it more difficult to see whether they are lined up, BUT in the picture, the crank has rotated one turn, and that engine is indeed ready to fire no1 cylinder.

PLEASE do NOT use a nylon sprocket

Looks to me in that picture that its 180 degrees out. Spin the crank one more time around and that arrow on the cam gear will point to the dot on the crank gear. Then you are good to go.

I line them up the way it is in the picture, and then set the dist with the rotor pointing towards #1.... But thats me.......

Thanks everyone!
yeah,i was wondering about the nylon gear,wth were they thinking?
Ok,yeah I just did read that the mark on the camshaft sprocket at 6 o clock ,and crank shaft at
12 o clock is no.6 at TDC.
@Badass
which arrow?
At what position should I install the new gears and chain at?

dot to dot, bottom on the cam gear, top on the crank, rotate one turn, drop the distributor. Chevy's go in anyway, not 180/180 like a MOPAR.

;)

nylon gears were less noisy....

Funny, the noise thing, because, a 70 engine is far quieter than the knocking ticking things they make nowadays.......

just line em up dot to dot then rotate the crank one turn and drop in the distributor pointing to 1 cylinder...then you wont look like a moron aiming the rotor in god knows what direction......make it a habit and it will become a good habit.......sticking the distributor in the engine in any direction is not a good habit when it belongs pointing elswhere......see fsm and make your own call on that...even if it will work there it's meant to be aimed at a certain place...make that a habit and it will always work and make sense and be easy to do..........
P.S. they sell sets of plug wires that were meant for it to be that way....I can't understand why to too it diffrently

-
Back